Center dash vent enhancement.......

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK
Center dash vent enhancement.......

Postby Brakebuster » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:23 am

as we all know, the XJS has a bit of an asthmatic ventilation system , and this isn't helped by the huge vent in the middle of the dash ,

Image
831 by MyPix on Talk Photography

it has been a known upgrade to fit the later facelift vent and or a modified one from a 40 or something, the facelift vent if you can get one is £100 or more though , so not a lot bother with carrying out this minor work

I had a slightly different idea ,

why not blank off the middle fixed section and force what little air there is to the two adjustable side vents of the outlet

with this in mind I purchased a good used centre vent for the XJS , and proceeded to chop it up :shock:

but I did have a plan , I bent some sheet tin , and formed a ' pocket ' and then covered it in period looking flock that has an adhesive backing , and ended up with this

Image
824 by MyPix on Talk Photography

not bad if I say so myself

I then went to my car and removed my perfectly sound original vent, this is easily done by dropping the glove box door and gently prying off the walnut trim with a suitable tool , and
then removed the vent which is just a push fit

Image
832 by MyPix on Talk Photography

and then installed my modified vent grille , and put the walnut trim back in place

Image
833 by MyPix on Talk Photography

I still have my original vent should I wish to go back , but now have somewhere other than the ski slope to put change or keys etc , slightly too small for my iPhone though :roll:

and as for the extra air ?? , well , its a little better , lmfao :mrgreen:

BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Center dash vent enhancement.......

Postby poprivet » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:07 pm

An interesting alternative. I did the Facelift vent mod many years ago as below. It does make a great difference. I seem to remember that the new vent was quite cheap, I don't know if they are still available new now though.

Image

User avatar
ng4xjs

Member
Posts:477
Joined:Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Re: Center dash vent enhancement.......

Postby ng4xjs » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:45 pm

I remember the exact same issue on a previous 3.6 I had. May have been wrong to do it, but I blocked off the vents to the rear passenger compartment. This gave a fairly substantial increase in air force at the front, dashboard vents.

Nick

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Center dash vent enhancement.......

Postby poprivet » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Yep, the favoured way is to stuff some old socks in the air duct (Washed of course :shock: )

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Re: Center dash vent enhancement.......

Postby Brakebuster » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:35 pm

i don't wear socks...............or is that pants ?


never mind , i did wot i did




BB :mrgreen:
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests