Pan roof from creaking/ratting on my 66 reg X351

Moderator:ct575

johntyson555

Member
Posts:3
Joined:Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:32 pm
Pan roof from creaking/ratting on my 66 reg X351

Postby johntyson555 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:41 pm

How can I stop the pan roof from creaking on my 66 registration XJ

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Pan roof from creaking/ratting on my 66 reg X351

Postby J44EAG » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:13 pm

I believe there was a service action on this issue. I recall Nigel`s 351 had similar issues and the entire roof cartridge got replaced. Best advice would be to talk to a Main Dealer.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

johntyson555

Member
Posts:3
Joined:Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:32 pm

Re: Pan roof from creaking/ratting on my 66 reg X351

Postby johntyson555 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:37 pm

Hi Mike
Thank you. I did however take the car into Rybrook Warrington in February for them to sort out the problem. They were useless, firstly the service advisor said he was not aware of any historic issues, then he changed his mind and said they can creak in very cold weather but there is nothing they can do, so I come away disappointed with them. I do remember a number of years ago in the JEC Magazine X351 section frequent articles on this problem and a solution was a German lubrication silicone spray. I need to try and find the article again and also e-mail Nigel. If not sorted when it goes into the main dealer for its annual service in September I will raise it again.
Kind regards
John Tyson

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Pan roof from creaking/ratting on my 66 reg X351

Postby davidr » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi John - if your main dealer is saying that they aren't aware of any historic issues like this then I would suggest they are being disingenuous to put it politely! This is a very well known issue and probably one of the biggest single warranty claims on the X351. I've never owned one of these cars but I've heard of it!
Regards
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

johntyson555

Member
Posts:3
Joined:Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:32 pm

Re: Pan roof from creaking/ratting on my 66 reg X351

Postby johntyson555 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:02 pm

Hi David you are absolutely correct that Rybrook Warrington are being disingenuous. I will e-mail Nigel Thorley and seek advice. It is a shame because it is a superb vehicle and not what you would expect. Kind regards John Tyson

User avatar
SilverXKR

Member
Posts:19
Joined:Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:03 pm
Location:Brantham, Suffolk

Re: Pan roof from creaking/ratting on my 66 reg X351

Postby SilverXKR » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:52 am

My 16 plate X351 taken to the local dealer today for attention. Went for a test drive with a technician in the back seat and he immediately recognized the problem. He mentioned that there had been several revisions of the sunroof and suggested that it would be a broken clip in the roof or the headlining. We shall see, not holding my breath.

Ken
2016 XJ 3.0 Ltr Portfolio
2000 XKR Silverstone
2010 XF Portfolio (Sold)

User avatar
SilverXKR

Member
Posts:19
Joined:Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:03 pm
Location:Brantham, Suffolk

Re: Pan roof from creaking/ratting on my 66 reg X351

Postby SilverXKR » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:08 pm

Just picked up the car from the Main Dealer and not a squeak or a rattle from the roof on my 10-mile journey home. Peace at last, fingers crossed it stays that way.
2016 XJ 3.0 Ltr Portfolio
2000 XKR Silverstone
2010 XF Portfolio (Sold)

paul.skirton668

Member
Posts:5
Joined:Sun May 28, 2023 12:42 pm

Re: Pan roof from creaking/ratting on my 66 reg X351

Postby paul.skirton668 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:51 pm

I've got a rattle in my sunroof. It's like a knocking rather than a rattle, it's most pronounced at low speed over slightly rough roads, never at speed. It's kind of intermittent in as much as it's worse at times than others. I've been told that the headlining will have to be dropped and that's a days labour. Mine is a 62 plate (2013 model), would that still be covered under manufacturers warranty?

paul.skirton668

Member
Posts:5
Joined:Sun May 28, 2023 12:42 pm

Re: Pan roof from creaking/ratting on my 66 reg X351

Postby paul.skirton668 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:00 pm

I phoned the Jaguar main dealer and they won't treat it under warranty. It only lasts 3 years and they say there's no recalls. Talking on the Jaguar forum a few guys have solved their rattle problems by silicone greasing the rubbers and runners, I had some silicone spray so I've tried that. I'll wait and see when I drive it later.

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: Pan roof from creaking/ratting on my 66 reg X351

Postby andypryce » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:39 pm

Not surprised to be honest, once the car is out of warranty they are only interested in selling you a new one. There was a definite issue with creaking sunroofs on these cars, it was covered in the magazine a while ago, I am sure someone in the club can you point you in the right direction for the articles.
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest