Page 1 of 1
Tyre options for 2010 LWB Portfolio?
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:53 am
by MR.O
Looking ahead to replacing all four tyres. However, receiving mixed messages from different tyre suppliers. Some say that recommended tyres must be fitted as they are manufactured especially for the car. E.g. Dunlop Sports Maxx with jag coding. Others say that other makes can be used. Confusing! Can anyone offer some advice or recommendations please.
Re: Tyre options for 2010 LWB Portfolio?
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:21 pm
by NCW4566
Hi
My 2011 model is fitted with Dunlop Sport Max GT which I think were the standard fit.
I recently had a new XJ for a couple of weeks and this was fitted with Continental Sport Contact tyres. The Continentals were significantly quieter on the road and I also felt the ride was improved.
Re: Tyre options for 2010 LWB Portfolio?
Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:24 pm
by MR.O
Thanks Neil. Will have alook at them. Iam currently running on the Dunlop too.
Re: Tyre options for 2010 LWB Portfolio?
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:01 am
by raysearles
All the major manufacturers now have specific codings associated with their recommended tyre brands. Dunlop and Contis are both regularly used on XJs, online tyre suppliers usually have both "JAG" versions and normal versions available. I would not get to hung up upon the specific Jag coding the important issue is to get the correct speed rating and the right front and rear sizes/profiles.
I am on Sport Maxxs now and find them acceptable but when you don't do a lot of miles you don't tend to change them often.
Re: Tyre options for 2010 LWB Portfolio?
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:17 pm
by DaveNeedham
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/o ... oved-tyres
Goes some way to explain the differences.
Donkeys years ago my XJ40 lived on Pirelli P6000 tyres that were marked with a āJā