Page 1 of 1

X351 Battery Replacement

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:03 pm
by ian.grant888499
I Own a Jaguar XJ Portfolio SWB 3.0 Diesel. Registered January 2011. I would like to install a new Battery before the winter. It's a standard car and does not have stop start, so only one battery in the boot. Does this car require any special treatment like keeping a constant power feed to avoid scrambling the internal computer. Or can I go ahead and remove the old battery and install a new one?
Ian Grant

Re: X351 Battery Replacement

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:00 pm
by andypryce
I think you may need to ‘tell’ the car a new battery is installed via the OBD port, as it adapts the charging process, but not sure about car of that age.

Re: X351 Battery Replacement

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:17 pm
by ptjs1
I changed the battery on my x350 when I had it 7 years ago, and didn't go through any special process or maintaining a power source whilst changing it out. You'll lose some memory elements but it didn't affect the running of the car.

Good luck

Paul

Re: X351 Battery Replacement

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:56 pm
by JimMann
Hi Ian, first up, you are in the wrong Model Section, the X351 has its own section. That said, when you replace the battery, you DO have to tell the car that a new battery is fitted. Depending on your code reader, it may be able to make that update, otherwise your friendly local garage may help.
In addition, if you have a suitable battery conditioner, I use the Ring Automotive RSC 612 Smart Charger and it has a function to allow you to maintain the voltage to the car via remote connections whilst the battery is disconnected. That way no settings are lost.
Jim

Re: X351 Battery Replacement

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:25 pm
by ptjs1
Thread moved to X351 forum.

Jim, tks for spotting this. My fault, I had orginally moved it to the Model sections, but incorrectly placed it in the x350 forum. My apologies for the confusion, Ian.

Paul