VIN and Engine Number ignoramus

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

PWontner
Posts:6
Joined:Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:11 am
VIN and Engine Number ignoramus

Postby PWontner » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi there,

this is my first post and probably a really dumb one, as I've not owned a classic before.

I am the proud owner of an '88 XJS 3.6 and want to register in the Vehicle Register.

Can someone give me an example of a VIN number and an Engine number, so I know what to look for and advise where to find them. So far I've found a metal plate inside the door jam, with a long number and other Trim/Paint numbers and there is another metal plate which appears to be tucked into windscreen on the inside with another long number on it, which has clearly been put there by the previous owner who was a member of JEC.

Hope to hear from someone soon and then I can begin posting all sorts of other questions concerns! :lol:

thanks
Jaguar XJS 3.6 1988 Coupe

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Re: VIN and Engine Number ignoramus

Postby Brakebuster » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:46 pm

your V5c holds all the info you need about your car, such as VIN and engine number

and the VIN will be in the windscreen on the left side , this will start SAJJNAEW etc on a stamped plate

this is also stamped into the bulkhead lip under the bonnet when open , right by the windscreen wiper scuttle, it will have a star symbol (*) at each end

engine number can be found on the back of the block , but is usually hard to find and see


so with that sorted, welcome to the JEC and congrats on your new car

got any pictures ?

BB :mrgreen:
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type

PWontner
Posts:6
Joined:Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:11 am

Re: VIN and Engine Number ignoramus

Postby PWontner » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:06 pm

thanks alot for that, reckon I can work it out from here and will register.

I'll post some pictures when I've worked out how to resize them or download a resizing tool off the web.

plenty more questions to come I reckon. :)
Jaguar XJS 3.6 1988 Coupe

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: VIN and Engine Number ignoramus

Postby ptjs1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:05 pm

PWontner,

Welcome to the club and thanks for attempting to update your membership record with your car details.

If you have a problem trying to update your record, it may be because the previous owner has not removed the car from his record. If this is the case, drop me a line and we will delete the car from the previous owners membership record, thus allowing you to update your record. Alternatively, just drop me a line with your VIN number and I'll do a check first for you.

Cheers

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests