Hi all,
recently purchased a 1991 XJ-S V12 5.3 Conv, been in storage since purchase a few weeks ago as I have been overseas, however I hope to collect and take for a spin this weekend.
Precious owner was a member in here so hoping the car turns out to behave itself!
Loads of questions to ask etc but can wait for now.....
Cheers
R
Intro
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
- jBlackwell

- Posts:1055
- Joined:Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:19 pm
- Location:Cwmbran
Re: Intro
Welcome to the JEC and of course the Bulletin Board.
Enjoy your car and dont forget you can search the BB to see if your question has been asked before, if not, there is a wealth of knowledge available on here for all members to tap into.
James
Enjoy your car and dont forget you can search the BB to see if your question has been asked before, if not, there is a wealth of knowledge available on here for all members to tap into.
James
Re: Intro
R,
Congrats on the purchase of the car, good choice! I hope you were able to take advantage of the inevitable winter dip in prices when buying a convertible!
Do please remember to update your membership details with your car details and come back here and tell us all about the car!
Good luck
Paul
Congrats on the purchase of the car, good choice! I hope you were able to take advantage of the inevitable winter dip in prices when buying a convertible!
Do please remember to update your membership details with your car details and come back here and tell us all about the car!
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Intro
R.
Welcome to the club, I hope you enjoy your car. We do have a wealth of knowledge within.
I am glad that you bought a convertible, they are a lot of fun once you get used to driving it, especially with the hood down.
Best regards,
Brianh
Welcome to the club, I hope you enjoy your car. We do have a wealth of knowledge within.
I am glad that you bought a convertible, they are a lot of fun once you get used to driving it, especially with the hood down.
Best regards,
Brianh
1988 XJ-S 5.3 Litre Convertible, Signal Red
1996 XJS 4.0 Litre Celebration Coupe, Ice Blue
1967 420 4.2 Litre Saloon, Golden Sand
1996 XJS 4.0 Litre Celebration Coupe, Ice Blue
1967 420 4.2 Litre Saloon, Golden Sand
Re: Intro
R
Welcome from me too, I do hope you enjoy your purchase to the full, spring and summer now only a few short months away.....
....check out trip to the Lake District in the Events section.
Best Wishes
TonyS
Welcome from me too, I do hope you enjoy your purchase to the full, spring and summer now only a few short months away.....
....check out trip to the Lake District in the Events section.
Best Wishes
TonyS
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
Re: Intro
Hi all,
Thanks for the warm welcome.
The car is a low miler (42k) though with these guzzlers that doesnt seem so rare!!
Got chance to bring the car home today (£70 for a full tank en route btw), to give a good clean before going back into storage tomorrow for a month whilst my garage is refurbished.
A few things came to light on the first proper drive,
- how nice a ton feels even if it was only over a few miles....
- the central locking does not work of the key so I have had to lock each door manually and set the alarm independently. I am hoping this might be a simple fuse but something tells me I may not be that lucky
- there is a nasty noise coming from the steering as it approaches lock so I suspect this may need looking into
- do these engines really get this hot......on way home the needle never went any where near as high as normal tending to hover just below, I assume thats ok and the smell of heat burning from the engine bay was simply a consequence of recent lack of use or may be normal etc.....I arrived home in the dark and nothing appeared to be glowing!!
- other than that the oil pressure seems good above the mid point, I finally learnt how to adjust the mirrors ,,......and I located the lights switch.....
Thanks once again
R
Thanks for the warm welcome.
The car is a low miler (42k) though with these guzzlers that doesnt seem so rare!!
Got chance to bring the car home today (£70 for a full tank en route btw), to give a good clean before going back into storage tomorrow for a month whilst my garage is refurbished.
A few things came to light on the first proper drive,
- how nice a ton feels even if it was only over a few miles....
- the central locking does not work of the key so I have had to lock each door manually and set the alarm independently. I am hoping this might be a simple fuse but something tells me I may not be that lucky
- there is a nasty noise coming from the steering as it approaches lock so I suspect this may need looking into
- do these engines really get this hot......on way home the needle never went any where near as high as normal tending to hover just below, I assume thats ok and the smell of heat burning from the engine bay was simply a consequence of recent lack of use or may be normal etc.....I arrived home in the dark and nothing appeared to be glowing!!
- other than that the oil pressure seems good above the mid point, I finally learnt how to adjust the mirrors ,,......and I located the lights switch.....
Thanks once again
R
1991 Jaguar XJ-S V12 5.3 Convertible
Re: Intro
Hi there and welcome on board!
If you are in Hampshire as your ID suggests and would like to meet up then PM me. I'm only about 10 miles away from Andover.
I've had a V12 coupe for about 10 years that I've restored and added a Celebration convertible to my collection last year so it would be interesting to compare notes. If you're new to the XJS then maybe I can share some of my experiences.
Regards
David
If you are in Hampshire as your ID suggests and would like to meet up then PM me. I'm only about 10 miles away from Andover.
I've had a V12 coupe for about 10 years that I've restored and added a Celebration convertible to my collection last year so it would be interesting to compare notes. If you're new to the XJS then maybe I can share some of my experiences.
Regards
David
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Re: Intro
If your car still has the proper two headlight set up and you came home in the dark you will probably have noticed that the output is less than ideal, but despair not for a cure is at hand by contacting Powerbulbs.com and ordering some Phillips Powerbulbs which I see have been improved yet again since I got mine. They are superb and make driving the car at night on deserted roads a real pleasure. You will however need the skills of a mole to fit them, but even I managed it with some patience and persistence. Your handbook will reveal all so I will leave it there. (No connection with the company other than as a delighted customer - with the product and the service).
1994 Coupe AJ6 engine
Re: Intro
Cheers Paul,If your car still has the proper two headlight set up and you came home in the dark you will probably have noticed that the output is less than ideal, but despair not for a cure is at hand by contacting Powerbulbs.com and ordering some Phillips Powerbulbs which I see have been improved yet again since I got mine. They are superb and make driving the car at night on deserted roads a real pleasure. You will however need the skills of a mole to fit them, but even I managed it with some patience and persistence. Your handbook will reveal all so I will leave it there. (No connection with the company other than as a delighted customer - with the product and the service).
Always useful to hear of tips and tricks
Roy
1991 Jaguar XJ-S V12 5.3 Convertible
Re: Intro
Hi David,Hi there and welcome on board!
If you are in Hampshire as your ID suggests and would like to meet up then PM me. I'm only about 10 miles away from Andover.
I've had a V12 coupe for about 10 years that I've restored and added a Celebration convertible to my collection last year so it would be interesting to compare notes. If you're new to the XJS then maybe I can share some of my experiences.
Regards
David
Thanks for the kind gesture.
My "Andover" title however is my birthplace, Surrey has been my home pretty much since.
More than happy to meet up sometime though, maybe halfway? I have a lot to learn of these cars.
ATB
Roy
1991 Jaguar XJ-S V12 5.3 Convertible
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

