New member with an XJR-S

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

XJR-S

Member
Posts:198
Joined:Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:55 pm
New member with an XJR-S

Postby XJR-S » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:42 am

Hello!

Some of you might have spotted me on another Jaguar forum under the handle 'XJealouS'... That was when I was jealous as I didn't have one, now I do! So I've signed up and joined here. I'm quite active in another car club (and vice chairman) however now I've got a Jag, I wouldn't mind showing with both clubs next season.

Image

Image

This is a lovely car, I'm really enjoying it so far, but its got plenty of little things for me to play with.

Do you have a 'project' car section or should I put different posts in the relevant sections when I hit a stumbling block?

My primary challenge at the moment is the radio isn't working! There's no power at the fusebox on the drivers side - Where do I trace the wiring next? Thanks in advanced :)
1992 XJR-S 6.0L JaguarSport Tuned V12

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: New member with an XJR-S

Postby ptjs1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi XJR-S!

Welcome to the JEC and to the XJS section of the club Bulletin Board. Glad you got the car, it's a nice contrast to the XR4!

It would be helpful if you could now update your membership with your car details. From the Home page, select "MemberZone" then "My Account", scroll to the bottom then select "Update my car details". It's important to the club to understand what models are owned by our members.

Feel free to use the Bulletin Board to ask for advice from other members. You'll get better responses by using the relevant sub-sections eg Engine, Electrics etc. There's also a great Search capability to check previous posts.

Remember that we also have paid technical advisers who will offer free technical advice. Their contact details are in the magazine and also in the contacts page of the XJS forum website pages.

Good luck

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: New member with an XJR-S

Postby ptjs1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:49 pm

XJR-S,

I would also strongly recommend that you buy the official Jaguar Parts & Service manual. Dirt cheap on DVD at £25. You might want to buy the XJS V12 6.0 Litre manual plus the special XJR-S parts manual. Buy them from Jaguar Heritage here: http://www.jaguarheritage.org/Category/ ... -1996.aspx

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

User avatar
BigCatXJS

Moderator
Posts:744
Joined:Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:35 am

Re: New member with an XJR-S

Postby BigCatXJS » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Welcome!

Ain't she pretty? Enjoy....

Rich.
1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 HE 5-speed manual
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535

User avatar
dhdove

Member
Posts:1539
Joined:Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 am
Location:South Gloucestershire

Re: New member with an XJR-S

Postby dhdove » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi XJR-S....

And welcome to the JEC XJS Bulletin Board. :D

Lovely car, you are so lucky!
There is a wealth of information and expertise here at your fingertips so feel free to use it.
Remember, "search" is a most useful tool.

BTW do you own another marque? Which car club are you vice chairman of?

Best
TonyS
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

XJR-S

Member
Posts:198
Joined:Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:55 pm

Re: New member with an XJR-S

Postby XJR-S » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:18 pm

Paul, great advice, I will do exactly that! Thank you.

Tony, I am vice chair of the XR Owners Club. This is my other car:
ImageImageImage

XR4x4, Twin turbo charged V6 12 valve 3.0 Cologne, producing 300bhp and 380ft/lbs. So she's no slouch. But with coil over suspension, solid mounts and poly bushes, not exactly luxurious. After market emerald ECU does make it economical though and means I can use a digital dash too. 26mpg on a run. But changing then gearbox every 6-7k is getting tiresome.

I'd had enough of a big Sierra mk1 4x4 project I started, just had a baby to spend time on, so decided to sink some money into a car I can enjoy now and tinker with instead. So I've gotn32 eBay auctions finishing this weekend flogging off Sierra bits, to fund buying jag bits!

Needless to say, you can tell the XJR-S will get some polished bits, I've got a good deal with a local chap who does amazing polishing.

Thanks for all the comments, I've only done 60miles and it turns heads everywhere!
1992 XJR-S 6.0L JaguarSport Tuned V12

XJR-S

Member
Posts:198
Joined:Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:55 pm

Re: New member with an XJR-S

Postby XJR-S » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Also, will update my profile as soon as the V5 arrives :D the JEC were far faster than the DVLA! :lol:
1992 XJR-S 6.0L JaguarSport Tuned V12

User avatar
dhdove

Member
Posts:1539
Joined:Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 am
Location:South Gloucestershire

Re: New member with an XJR-S

Postby dhdove » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:00 am

XR4X4........nice!

I had an 87 and went through three gearboxes in two years! In my case it was the transfer box, poor design bolted onto a standard Ford five speed as an afterthought. I believe that the later boxes ( reverse away left and forward) are much better?
I had to get rid in the end, but otherwise it was a great car :D

Replaced it with a 2.8i Capri which was absolutely brilliant 8)

TonyS
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

XJR-S

Member
Posts:198
Joined:Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:55 pm

Re: New member with an XJR-S

Postby XJR-S » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:55 pm

XR4X4........nice!

I had an 87 and went through three gearboxes in two years! In my case it was the transfer box, poor design bolted onto a standard Ford five speed as an afterthought. I believe that the later boxes ( reverse away left and forward) are much better?
I had to get rid in the end, but otherwise it was a great car :D

Replaced it with a 2.8i Capri which was absolutely brilliant 8)

TonyS
Yeah the early boxes were the type 9 jelly box with a 4x4 viscous strapped on the back. The later mt75 is a bit stronger but still doesn't really handle the torque I've got. Always 3rd that fails! Capri's have a certain charm I must say.

But this Xjs is fighting me at the moment. Boot filled with water, totally blocked rear drains. The trouble with a drive way on a slope. Blew them out with the compressor and drying the carpets in doors. Don't tell the missus!
1992 XJR-S 6.0L JaguarSport Tuned V12


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests