Page 1 of 1

Car Cover

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:10 pm
by Michael-Pinner
Hi,

I recently bought my first classic - a gorgeous XJ-S 1988 6 3.6. anyway, I have to keep it outside so does anyone have any advice about car covers.
I want a decent one but am tryign to work out what you get for your money - they seem to be on sale in Halfords for £50 but i see them also for 100, 200, 300... is it worth paying a bit more - what is it exactly that you are paying for?

thanks,

Michael

Re: Car Cover

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:27 pm
by davidr
Hi Michael - welcome and congratulations on your new toy! Have you any pictures you can post?
To answer your question about what do you get for the money, the simple answer is quality!
I have one of the Halfords ones that I use only occasionally and it's fine for that but I wouldn't want to keep a car out all winter under it.

Re: Car Cover

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:04 am
by RichardSEL
Car covers have to breathe -- from the highest points -- otherwise condensation condensates
Me? In all my years of classic car / scrot car / cars that shouldn't even be on the road use, I've never used one
I'm told the best chance of blowing away moisture from the most likely points of rust is to keep as exposed to
breezes as possible.
UK uses a form of road salt that's corrosive so it's worth having the underside washed down after a winter season

Re: Car Cover

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:30 pm
by Michael-Pinner
Hi David,

thanks for that - i reckon i will get a decent one but make sure i take it off to make sure it gets the air around it.... i think the other chap who replied had a point.

and thanks for the welcome - i tried to post one but its too big... i'll have another go.

Michael

Re: Car Cover

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:40 pm
by Michael-Pinner
...there she is...

Re: Car Cover

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:30 am
by ptjs1
Michael,

Congrats on the car. I've used a number of different covers on various cars, particularly when my xjs lived outside for the first 10 years of my ownership.

If you're looking for an outdoor cover I can thoroughly recommend for price and quality is the one sold by Hamilton Classic and marketed at a competitive price through the club. See link here:

https://jec.org.uk/shop/outdoor-car-cover#description

The only thing I would mention is that their recommended size for an xjs was incorrect in my opinion and I returned it and requested a different size. They may have changed the listings as a result of my measurements, but if you do purchase this one you might want to ask them to check my order (and revised size) and order accordingly.

Good luck

Paul Sinnott

Re: Car Cover

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:28 am
by Michael-Pinner
Hi Paul,

thanks very much for that tip - that does look like a very good one. I reckon i will go ahead with that and have a word first about sizes.

cheers - happy Jagging.

Michael

https://jec.org.uk/shop/outdoor-car-cover#description

Re: Car Cover

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:30 am
by Michael-Pinner
Hi Richard

i think that's probably some good advice. I think i will get one and take it off regularly as you are right - you can't beat circulating air.

cheers

Michael

Re: Car Cover

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:25 pm
by BigCatXJS
https://www.classicadditions.com/en-GB/ ... 052-167730

Probably too late now but the above I have used for my XJ-S and Merc (indoor and outdoor covers). I also use unibond dehumidifying tablets in the passenger and boot areas.

For the first time ever I have kept the road tax running through the winter for my XJ-S and Merc as its been so mild so far compared to 2017/18 winter season - although the cars will avoid going out in the wet. Avoiding icey conditions is mandatory as road salt is an absolute killer!