Hi,
I recently bought my first classic - a gorgeous XJ-S 1988 6 3.6. anyway, I have to keep it outside so does anyone have any advice about car covers.
I want a decent one but am tryign to work out what you get for your money - they seem to be on sale in Halfords for £50 but i see them also for 100, 200, 300... is it worth paying a bit more - what is it exactly that you are paying for?
thanks,
Michael
Car Cover
Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove
Re: Car Cover
Hi Michael - welcome and congratulations on your new toy! Have you any pictures you can post?
To answer your question about what do you get for the money, the simple answer is quality!
I have one of the Halfords ones that I use only occasionally and it's fine for that but I wouldn't want to keep a car out all winter under it.
To answer your question about what do you get for the money, the simple answer is quality!
I have one of the Halfords ones that I use only occasionally and it's fine for that but I wouldn't want to keep a car out all winter under it.
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Car Cover
Car covers have to breathe -- from the highest points -- otherwise condensation condensates
Me? In all my years of classic car / scrot car / cars that shouldn't even be on the road use, I've never used one
I'm told the best chance of blowing away moisture from the most likely points of rust is to keep as exposed to
breezes as possible.
UK uses a form of road salt that's corrosive so it's worth having the underside washed down after a winter season
Me? In all my years of classic car / scrot car / cars that shouldn't even be on the road use, I've never used one
I'm told the best chance of blowing away moisture from the most likely points of rust is to keep as exposed to
breezes as possible.
UK uses a form of road salt that's corrosive so it's worth having the underside washed down after a winter season
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
-
Michael-Pinner

- Posts:19
- Joined:Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:32 pm
Re: Car Cover
Hi David,
thanks for that - i reckon i will get a decent one but make sure i take it off to make sure it gets the air around it.... i think the other chap who replied had a point.
and thanks for the welcome - i tried to post one but its too big... i'll have another go.
Michael
thanks for that - i reckon i will get a decent one but make sure i take it off to make sure it gets the air around it.... i think the other chap who replied had a point.
and thanks for the welcome - i tried to post one but its too big... i'll have another go.
Michael
-
Michael-Pinner

- Posts:19
- Joined:Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:32 pm
Re: Car Cover
Michael,
Congrats on the car. I've used a number of different covers on various cars, particularly when my xjs lived outside for the first 10 years of my ownership.
If you're looking for an outdoor cover I can thoroughly recommend for price and quality is the one sold by Hamilton Classic and marketed at a competitive price through the club. See link here:
https://jec.org.uk/shop/outdoor-car-cover#description
The only thing I would mention is that their recommended size for an xjs was incorrect in my opinion and I returned it and requested a different size. They may have changed the listings as a result of my measurements, but if you do purchase this one you might want to ask them to check my order (and revised size) and order accordingly.
Good luck
Paul Sinnott
Congrats on the car. I've used a number of different covers on various cars, particularly when my xjs lived outside for the first 10 years of my ownership.
If you're looking for an outdoor cover I can thoroughly recommend for price and quality is the one sold by Hamilton Classic and marketed at a competitive price through the club. See link here:
https://jec.org.uk/shop/outdoor-car-cover#description
The only thing I would mention is that their recommended size for an xjs was incorrect in my opinion and I returned it and requested a different size. They may have changed the listings as a result of my measurements, but if you do purchase this one you might want to ask them to check my order (and revised size) and order accordingly.
Good luck
Paul Sinnott
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
-
Michael-Pinner

- Posts:19
- Joined:Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:32 pm
Re: Car Cover
Hi Paul,
thanks very much for that tip - that does look like a very good one. I reckon i will go ahead with that and have a word first about sizes.
cheers - happy Jagging.
Michael
https://jec.org.uk/shop/outdoor-car-cover#description
thanks very much for that tip - that does look like a very good one. I reckon i will go ahead with that and have a word first about sizes.
cheers - happy Jagging.
Michael
https://jec.org.uk/shop/outdoor-car-cover#description
-
Michael-Pinner

- Posts:19
- Joined:Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:32 pm
Re: Car Cover
Hi Richard
i think that's probably some good advice. I think i will get one and take it off regularly as you are right - you can't beat circulating air.
cheers
Michael
i think that's probably some good advice. I think i will get one and take it off regularly as you are right - you can't beat circulating air.
cheers
Michael
Re: Car Cover
https://www.classicadditions.com/en-GB/ ... 052-167730
Probably too late now but the above I have used for my XJ-S and Merc (indoor and outdoor covers). I also use unibond dehumidifying tablets in the passenger and boot areas.
For the first time ever I have kept the road tax running through the winter for my XJ-S and Merc as its been so mild so far compared to 2017/18 winter season - although the cars will avoid going out in the wet. Avoiding icey conditions is mandatory as road salt is an absolute killer!
Probably too late now but the above I have used for my XJ-S and Merc (indoor and outdoor covers). I also use unibond dehumidifying tablets in the passenger and boot areas.
For the first time ever I have kept the road tax running through the winter for my XJ-S and Merc as its been so mild so far compared to 2017/18 winter season - although the cars will avoid going out in the wet. Avoiding icey conditions is mandatory as road salt is an absolute killer!
1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 HE 5-speed manual
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
