16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Moderators:davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

User avatar
DrSebWilkes
Posts:68
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
Location:Cheshire
Contact:
16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby DrSebWilkes » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Hello everyone! Some of you may indeed already know who I am - I am Sebastian Wilkes and I was 15 when I got my XJS. Now I'm 16 and not much has changed - still got the car, whom is called Lily! I am based on the Wirral / Merseyside (seriously which is it?) but the car is in Stafford SOON TO BE CHESHIRE!!!! :D

She is a 1992 4.0, Registration XJI 7779, paintcode SDE. Seeing as I have equal amounts of bravery and foolishness, with a healthy spoonful of naivety because why not, I thought "Hmm I haven't got a lot of money so what car should I get?"

Ladies and Gentleman, I present you LILY THE XJS
Image

Image

Okay so I'm afraid, she isn't without her faults. Perhaps if I had called her "Jimmy" then she'd be free of them? :P

So where are we with her? Well she has rusted in pretty much every usual place that can rust on an XJS. If you're here to tell me to scrap her, then you've come to the wrong place. We ain't here to bin another graceful cat. Okay, so front inner sills, both sides will need work I suspect. Both side floor pans. Scuttle is *bad*. Front suspension is ... "gone" (more on that in a moment though), blue-smoke on startup (and I can only pray it will clear with prolonged used but ... not had that chance yet), ABS warning light (please don't be anything bad ...) Aside from electrical faults that will obviously be present I can't say for sure what other MOT failures there are on her right now.

As for somewhat less sevre issues general issues, lower rear quarters, n/s, has a big hole, front lower quarters are ... "blagh", I don't have a functioning header tank (best not to ask but suffice to say it has a hole), drooping headlining, exhaust leaks ...

BUT THE ABSOLUTE WORST ISSUE OF THEM ALL ... my radio has this code that renders my car inactive if I just randomly mash in numbers .... :(

Nah just kidding I'm sure there are other things that have eluded me but to be fair there are functioning things in my car like, the engine, the tranmission, the handbrake ... ... the cold air fan works too. Some lights also work which is pretty neat.

So, folks, that's my car. Me? Well I'm just a rather unusual 16 year old with a massive love for the XJS, maths / physics and cooking. You won't find me at any parties, aside from those I start whenever something goes right in my car project. :)

EDIT:
video of the Jaaaaag https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWIi9VwZ_t8
Last edited by DrSebWilkes on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look :lol: :D 8)

User avatar
robv12

Member
Posts:2080
Joined:Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am
Location:scottish borders

Re: 16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby robv12 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:03 pm

hello and welcome young man, you are the future, get stuck into the XJS and the club, lots of free advice to be had here

keep us posted on progress please

User avatar
DrSebWilkes
Posts:68
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
Location:Cheshire
Contact:

Re: 16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby DrSebWilkes » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Wonderful, thank you! I'm a bit stingy but I have so far enjoyed the rewards of the JEC and I can't wait to pick people's brain on stuff - I don't just like to see things fixed but I love understanding why things work. And hopefully, one day, some other young chap will say "I got this xjs what do I do?" and I'll be on the giving end :)

And I promised to speak about the suspension, as well I'll mention a few other things as above that was just an intro.

Basically people may say "check behind the spring turret with a firm finger and it should be solid metal". I checked the front of the spring turret and saw through to the otherside. So, suffice to say it's utterly ruined. I have bought, thus far, new springs and new crossmember and this is one of the few jobs I won't do myself given my driveway limitation, and that's I'll have the old cross member dropped out, parts switched over to the new one, then have it placed back - fully renewed suspension!

And as an FYI I don't really like the concept of driving. I like cars, but not driving. I'm nuts, aren't I? So I'm not concerned with driving the car, nor insurance, nor cost of fuel, because A) It'll take ages to get it road legal B) I probably would get paranoid if I did take it on the road.

But don't get me wrong, my #1 motivation is to get it road legal, and done without botching (number of times I see someone say "oh I bought this car and it was botched") because truthfully I do want to use it one day ;)


So in summary, no worries, you'll be well informed whether you like it or not? :P :wink:
Image
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look :lol: :D 8)

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: 16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby davidr » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Seb - welcome to the XJS Forum (and thanks for lowering the average age!).
I've been following your exploits on the other forum and I'm very pleased to see you here.
When I first had an XJS I didn't have a clue and it was using advice from forums such as this, getting my sleeves rolled up and having a go that led me to now doing all the work on both my cars myself.
It's great to have you here - as Rob says, you are the future and we will help you in every way we can. Please don't be afraid to ask anything. There's no such thing as a stupid question - it's only stupid to let appearances stop you asking!
Good luck and I look forward to meeting you and your car some time ( it will make a great magazine article one day!)
Best wishes
David Randall
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Re: 16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby Brakebuster » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:06 pm

HI Seb

and welcome

what a great project car you have there, and a great way to learn how to restore and maintain your own cars , as mentioned, there are no stupid questions, non of us know everything in life , so ask away and collectively i hope we can come up with some of the answers you may need

with a limited budget, its important to identify the correct items to repair first, while always keeping an eye open for those one off bargains , but don't be tempted to buy everything you see , as you will end up with several cars worth of spares in the garage, just like David and me, lol

some more pictures would be great

all the best

BB

btw, it would be great to have someone who is , lets say , computer savvy ,lol, rather than all us old fogies muddling through all the time.......... :roll: :lol:
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type

User avatar
DrSebWilkes
Posts:68
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
Location:Cheshire
Contact:

Re: 16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby DrSebWilkes » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Quick update RE: the suspension renewal: I now have the
  • cross member
  • springs
  • Spring pan
  • all the bushings (at least that's what they said!)
  • subframe / engine mounts
Anything else worth replacing while I'm at it? (My wallet is sort of hoping people will say no)

I haven't actually got all too many pictures sadly ...

Image

Image
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look :lol: :D 8)

poprivet

Member
Posts:1985
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm
Location:Hampshire
Contact:

Re: 16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby poprivet » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:18 pm

A warm welcome from me as well, take it a step at a time and treat it as a long term project. You will gain many valuable lessons along the way which will stand you well in life. At 16, my motor engineering learning efforts were confined to a Raleigh RM1 moped so you certainly have a head start on me and many others on here I'm sure.

Keep the reports coming, the JEC is a fantastic resource, not just on the technical information but also for the help and advice you will get. I think a short magazine article is also called for :D

User avatar
BigCatXJS

Moderator
Posts:744
Joined:Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:35 am

Re: 16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby BigCatXJS » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:58 pm

Welcome Seb,

Glad that you finally took the plunge with JEC membership :D

Best, Richard
1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 HE 5-speed manual
1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R
2006 Jaguar XJ Sovereign TDVi
2007 Mercedes CLK350 Convertible
2010 BMW E92 3 Series Coupe
Past:
1996 Daimler Six LWB
2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
1985 E28 BMW M535

User avatar
DrSebWilkes
Posts:68
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
Location:Cheshire
Contact:

Re: 16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby DrSebWilkes » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:06 pm

Welcome Seb,

Glad that you finally took the plunge with JEC membership :D

Best, Richard
Thanks you :)
Actually really liking it so far - also loving the monthly magazines (a real bonus treat). Yeah sorry for not joining sooner is honestly all I can say :oops:

Unfortunately my car engine isn't working at the moment (it used to be absolutely fine before) ... I'm half tempted to start an independent thread on the matter. :\
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look :lol: :D 8)

ChrisDixon
Posts:330
Joined:Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 pm
Location:Kent

Re: 16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby ChrisDixon » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Quick update RE: the suspension renewal: I now have the
  • cross member
  • springs
  • Spring pan
  • all the bushings (at least that's what they said!)
  • subframe / engine mounts
Anything else worth replacing while I'm at it? (My wallet is sort of hoping people will say no)
Hi Seb I'd replace the shock absorber upper mounts (and the shocks maybe), anything rubber like steering rack gaiters, brake hoses. With discs and pads it depends but if you can afford it new discs will look better on a refurbished subframe than the old ones. Check the wheel bearings too. And ball joints. The other thing to check when the subframe is out is the inner wings, they may well have been repaired in the past but they usually have small rust patches roughly in line with the inside of the turrets, which can't always be seen from the inside as things like the air box and header tank are in the way.

User avatar
DrSebWilkes
Posts:68
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
Location:Cheshire
Contact:

Re: 16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby DrSebWilkes » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi Seb I'd replace the shock absorber upper mounts (and the shocks maybe), anything rubber like steering rack gaiters, brake hoses. With discs and pads it depends but if you can afford it new discs will look better on a refurbished subframe than the old ones. Check the wheel bearings too. And ball joints. The other thing to check when the subframe is out is the inner wings, they may well have been repaired in the past but they usually have small rust patches roughly in line with the inside of the turrets, which can't always be seen from the inside as things like the air box and header tank are in the way.
It has been repaired in the past but I'm not terribly keen on how it's been done so I will have a good prod I think. Let's say it actually fails ... is that something (given it'd be in a Jag-garage at this point) to get "them" to do or let them proceed and I worry about it some other time?

I'll see what I can do for the rest of your list. Especially with the latest engine development I've got to be strict on funds ...
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look :lol: :D 8)

User avatar
DrSebWilkes
Posts:68
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
Location:Cheshire
Contact:

Re: 16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby DrSebWilkes » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:41 pm

I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look :lol: :D 8)

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: 16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby davidr » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:54 am

Well done Seb - it's a good feeling when it goes right isn't it?!!
What was the problem?

fergolf
Posts:11
Joined:Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:20 pm
Location:Spain

Re: 16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby fergolf » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Hello:

Reading this tread I remembered when was 16 like you... in 1988, I was already dreaming with the XJS. I still keep part of my old high school student folder...just look:

Image

I had to wait 24 years to see my dream fulfilled.

Congratulations Sebastian

User avatar
DrSebWilkes
Posts:68
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 pm
Location:Cheshire
Contact:

Re: 16 with a Jag! Lily the XJS

Postby DrSebWilkes » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello:

Reading this tread I remembered when was 16 like you... in 1988, I was already dreaming with the XJS. I still keep part of my old high school student folder...just look:

Image

I had to wait 24 years to see my dream fulfilled.

Congratulations Sebastian
Ahh muchas gracias! Que bueno que hay alguien que habla español aqui hehe

Siempre has viviste en España? El razón porque hago la pregunta es porque soy muy interesado en donde
Jaguar viendo sus coches.

Como de grande o bien conocido son
Jaguar alla?

Just showing off a bit of spanish don't mind me xD For those who can't translate, I just love seeing XJS's in countries other than the UK / USA. Partly to show the XJS as a "world traveller" but also because it's interesting to hear how Jaguar sold their cars abroad.

Hell, I managed to find someone in Colombia who is running an XJS ... Colombia right now has a grand total of 2 official Jag dealers and Leyland never exported their cars there xD
Well done Seb - it's a good feeling when it goes right isn't it?!!
What was the problem?
I can't say for sure but I have a theory: I reckon when I tried running it last weekend, bearing in mind it hadn't been ran in months, and that without the air filter and housing the choke would have been affected meaning the engine would have run a lot rougher. Couple this with the more turns that usual to get an engine started after so long, I reckon the engine flooded since it couldn't start properly.

So this weekend that just passed, I checked the Crank Position Sensor's resistance and while I got the multimeter and contacts to touch, it seemed to read around the [correct] 3.5k Ohms needed. So it wasn't that! I refitted the air filter and housing and fully depressed the accelerator pedal to prevent the engine from being flooded - took a few more turns but it did start. After running for a minute, I turned it off and started again normally - straight off the bat with no issues.

Aside from the "small" exhaust leak, the exhaust looks good and definitely doesn't look blue Doesn't smell bad either so I think it's burning okay. Seriously - what a massive relief. :mrgreen:
I'm Seb Wilkes, 17, with a 92 XJS. Links: My YouTube channel & XJS webpage, JaguarXJS.net Feel free to have a look :lol: :D 8)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest