Phil, Mike , I've had a look at the XF sill area and it does not seem to be so simple to remove as the S type. In addition, I do not have access to a compressor so waxoil application myself seems to be a non starter. Recently there has been a firm advertising on our site re wax treatment. Looks like a franchise operation. They have a depot in Bellshill (couple of hours drive for me) so a chat with them re procedures, cost etc seems my best option. Think I will try removing the 'sponge' and perhaps attach a 'flap' attached at the front end and open at the rear to divert spray from the front wheel from blasting straight into the opening in the sill.
More to follow.
Ian.
Foam between outer and inner sills
Moderator:cawthrm
-
ianoliver57

- Posts:261
- Joined:Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:19 pm
- Location:Tayvallich, Argyll.
2009 XJ8 Sovereign X358 Final Edition 4.2 V8.
Previously
2004 S Type
2010 XF 3L petrol
2014 XF R-Sport
2010 XKR 5L
2011 XF S
2017 F Type 340
2019 XJ 3L V6
2021 XE R Dynamic P250 S
2021 F Type R Dynamic P450 AWD.
Previously
2004 S Type
2010 XF 3L petrol
2014 XF R-Sport
2010 XKR 5L
2011 XF S
2017 F Type 340
2019 XJ 3L V6
2021 XE R Dynamic P250 S
2021 F Type R Dynamic P450 AWD.
Re: Foam between outer and inner sills
Wax oil comes in cans, some of which can fit onto a cheap pump which gives another option for DIY application.
Some time back an XJ owner had his sills injected by a company. What they did not do during the process was to remove the seat belt reels from the bottom of the B-post. The result was that the seat belts and reels had to be replaced due to loads of Waxoil being sprayed upwards onto the original reel units. Worth mentioning this to any operators and ensure the job does not turn out a sour one!
Mike K
Some time back an XJ owner had his sills injected by a company. What they did not do during the process was to remove the seat belt reels from the bottom of the B-post. The result was that the seat belts and reels had to be replaced due to loads of Waxoil being sprayed upwards onto the original reel units. Worth mentioning this to any operators and ensure the job does not turn out a sour one!
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Foam between outer and inner sills
Ian, If you are exploring the use of a contractor to carry out Waxoil application I would urge you to approach this job with the utmost caution. I am well aware of some of the methods and techniques used which I could not endorse as satisfactory.
This has the potential for being a labour intensive job and therefore expensive. To contain costs I have seen holes drilled in unobtrusive places to allow entrance of the spray lance but of course with limited access and no guarantee of total area coverage.
You may care to share with us what you find out about the chosen contractor. Will the sill be removed for a clean down prior to Wax oiling or are access holes found and the mud deposits just sprayed over ? Will you be able to observe the operation or is it hidden away from you ?
I think that is enough for the moment - good luck
Oldtimer
This has the potential for being a labour intensive job and therefore expensive. To contain costs I have seen holes drilled in unobtrusive places to allow entrance of the spray lance but of course with limited access and no guarantee of total area coverage.
You may care to share with us what you find out about the chosen contractor. Will the sill be removed for a clean down prior to Wax oiling or are access holes found and the mud deposits just sprayed over ? Will you be able to observe the operation or is it hidden away from you ?
I think that is enough for the moment - good luck
Oldtimer
-
ianoliver57

- Posts:261
- Joined:Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:19 pm
- Location:Tayvallich, Argyll.
Re: Foam between outer and inner sills
Ok, so your starting to scare me now! I received quotes of £490 for Dinitrol and £460 for Waxoil. Both were for full underbody treatment, including the sills, doors and chassis. The car would be cleaned and dried before treatment started. It was to be delivered at 9.00 and ready for collection by 3.00. On the face of it, I didnt think that was too bad. However, the only branch of the company in Scotland is in Bellshill. About two and a half hours drive for me and a long time to 'hang about' waiting for the job to be done. There are loads of branches in England so I suspect it is a franchise operation, therefore no idea how good one branch is against another. Beginning to have second thoughts.
How would they do the doors? Does the door card need to be removed on the inside? Not sure I would be happy if it did with all the elecrtical bit for locks, windows, seat memory, audio etc. Plus, with ivory white full leather interior............ you get my concern?
The company involved have a link beside our classified ads. Anyone had experience of them?
Regards
Ian.
How would they do the doors? Does the door card need to be removed on the inside? Not sure I would be happy if it did with all the elecrtical bit for locks, windows, seat memory, audio etc. Plus, with ivory white full leather interior............ you get my concern?
The company involved have a link beside our classified ads. Anyone had experience of them?
Regards
Ian.
2009 XJ8 Sovereign X358 Final Edition 4.2 V8.
Previously
2004 S Type
2010 XF 3L petrol
2014 XF R-Sport
2010 XKR 5L
2011 XF S
2017 F Type 340
2019 XJ 3L V6
2021 XE R Dynamic P250 S
2021 F Type R Dynamic P450 AWD.
Previously
2004 S Type
2010 XF 3L petrol
2014 XF R-Sport
2010 XKR 5L
2011 XF S
2017 F Type 340
2019 XJ 3L V6
2021 XE R Dynamic P250 S
2021 F Type R Dynamic P450 AWD.
Re: Foam between outer and inner sills
Hi Ian
I faced a similar dilemma with my 1996 XJS. I too obtained quotes in the £100's from franchised companies but when I asked direct questions about the detail of the work they didn't give answers. I formed the impression that their focus was maximising business rather than satisfying the demands of the job. In the end I entrusted the work to a local independent Jaguar garage; they actually recommended removal of the door cards, invited me to inspect the work in progress and provided photographs of the works as they were done. The cost was very much more but I was well happy to pay, knowing that the work had been as thorough as possible. I would go the Jaguar independent specialist route every time.
Robbie
I faced a similar dilemma with my 1996 XJS. I too obtained quotes in the £100's from franchised companies but when I asked direct questions about the detail of the work they didn't give answers. I formed the impression that their focus was maximising business rather than satisfying the demands of the job. In the end I entrusted the work to a local independent Jaguar garage; they actually recommended removal of the door cards, invited me to inspect the work in progress and provided photographs of the works as they were done. The cost was very much more but I was well happy to pay, knowing that the work had been as thorough as possible. I would go the Jaguar independent specialist route every time.
Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971
-
ianoliver57

- Posts:261
- Joined:Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:19 pm
- Location:Tayvallich, Argyll.
Re: Foam between outer and inner sills
I'm beginning to agree with you. The ad has disappeared from our site but the company is www.waxoyltreatment.co.uk.
Dont think I'll take it any further but may have a word with an independant in Paisley. Good reputation and much nearer.
All this hassle. If Jaguar had simply closed the gap in the outer sill and not stuffed it with a sponge!!
Ian.
Dont think I'll take it any further but may have a word with an independant in Paisley. Good reputation and much nearer.
All this hassle. If Jaguar had simply closed the gap in the outer sill and not stuffed it with a sponge!!
Ian.
2009 XJ8 Sovereign X358 Final Edition 4.2 V8.
Previously
2004 S Type
2010 XF 3L petrol
2014 XF R-Sport
2010 XKR 5L
2011 XF S
2017 F Type 340
2019 XJ 3L V6
2021 XE R Dynamic P250 S
2021 F Type R Dynamic P450 AWD.
Previously
2004 S Type
2010 XF 3L petrol
2014 XF R-Sport
2010 XKR 5L
2011 XF S
2017 F Type 340
2019 XJ 3L V6
2021 XE R Dynamic P250 S
2021 F Type R Dynamic P450 AWD.
-
geoff_gibbo

- Posts:2
- Joined:Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:03 pm
Re: Foam between outer and inner sills
I have read all the advice and taken it onboard , but can anyone tell me how to take off the sills to inspect it also how to replace them the car is a 17 plate XF thanks Geoff
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
