Suspension arm ball joint dust covers

Moderator:cawthrm

richphil
Posts:1
Joined:Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:29 pm
Suspension arm ball joint dust covers

Postby richphil » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:49 pm

I thought I would share with you my MOT experience this week. I failed. Apparently the suspension ball joint dust covers on my 2012 XFS have excessively deteriorated so that they no longer prevent the ingress of dirt (MOT code 2.4.G.2). I had the test done at F1 Autocentres who have been pretty good for day to day stuff like tyres, tracking and the MOT. So it's going back to them on Thursday to have both covers replaced. I've been quoted £70 - £80 for the work which seems very reasonable. The good news is that I must have passed on all the other things I was worried about!!
cheers
Phil

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Suspension arm ball joint dust covers

Postby J44EAG » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:52 pm

The ball joint gaiters on the front lower ball joint, the top arms, the upper rear arms and the across car rear track rod arms do rot. The top arm gaiters are almost impossible to replace. The same goes for the lower rear arm tube and ball units and the rear track rod arms. If you take a look at my article in the latest March 2017 X350 pages you will see I had to replace a couple of rear vertical links due to gaiter disintegration. This year I shall probably be replacing the rear tie rods and possibly the steering rack track rod ends as they are now thirteen years old, are rust ridden and the gaiters are aged. Rear tie rods are about £38 a piece with the front track rod ends at around £20 each. Both have moulded in rubber gaiters so the whole component has to be replaced if the gaiter gives up.

Gaiters are available. I posted on the subject a few years ago but can`t find the link for the posting. Some are replaceable on S-type, X350 and XF models, all of which share the same suspension components.

I`ve never been without an S-type or X350 in nearly twelve years now. Gaiter, joint and rod replacement has always been an ongoing issue as the cars aged. It is one of those things and there is nothing that can be done to alleviate the issue. Nothing lasts for ever! The problem with both rubber gaiters and suspension bushes is that they can and do fall to bits over time. I get around bush issues now by only using after-market polyurethane Powerflex replacements which have an unlimited warranty whilst you own a car which is fitted with them. That`s great as far as bushes are concerned but unfortunately no one has yet made decent long life ball joint gaiters.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests