service mode

Moderator:cawthrm

jagmanal

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:41 pm
service mode

Postby jagmanal » Thu Oct 31, 2024 12:20 pm

I am new to the XF so I am feeling my way through the joys of having electronic controls on everthing. The first hurdle is changing the rear brake discs which requires the car to be set in service mode to release the electric brake, many youtube videos shows the vehicle being plugged in to a computer to do this but there are also suggestions of how this might be done with no computer. I have just tried it and got the brake to release but it went straight back on when I shut the door so is it necessary to leave it open. Any advise on this subject will be gratefully recieved

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: service mode

Postby mike020150 » Mon Nov 04, 2024 11:02 am

Dependent upon the age/model of the XF, different procedures for setting the handbrake into service mode will apply. The later car (X260) instructions involving a sequence of button and pedal presses are highly sensitive to timing of the presses. Pressing the sequence too slowly is often a cause of the the car not moving the brake into service mode. It can just temporarily release the handbrake which will reapply again in reaction to its various safety protocols. Alternatively, a faulty handbrake motor or damaged calliper can prevent the system going into service mode. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

jagmanal

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:41 pm

Re: service mode

Postby jagmanal » Fri Nov 08, 2024 2:44 pm

Thanks Mike, this is a 2019 car. The method I tried was ignition on, press the brake release, after 2 seconds press the throttle fully down, turn ignition off then turn back on and release throttle and hand braake button. If I've got this wrong I stand to be corrected! I thought that this will be good information for anyone wanting to do their own work on the car


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest