Gear change quality

Moderator:cawthrm

jonjeffryes
Posts:206
Joined:Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:34 pm
Gear change quality

Postby jonjeffryes » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi

The gear change quality in my 2013 2.2 Diesel XFR-Sport is quite aggressive. Particularly first to second (or is it 2nd to 3rd - cannot remember which gear the car starts of in). It thumps noticeable through the first couple of gear changes, smoothing out in the upper gears. Compared to my S-type, the quality of change is quite shocking.

I've booked the car into Harwood's Gatwick on the 8th for them to investigate and also sort out the terrible DABs radio reception at the same time.

Hopefully that should sort the beast out!

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Gear change quality

Postby J44EAG » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:45 pm

The later S-types with the ZF box frequently developed "The Lurch" !
Often a gearbox software reflash would sort the issue.

Details here. I wonder if some of the issues found their way into the XF?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 2s&cad=rja

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
Rictus

Member
Posts:200
Joined:Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: Gear change quality

Postby Rictus » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:30 pm

As your new XF Forum Coordinator, I thought I'd better do some research into this issue and it appears rare for the XF to suffer from an aggressive gear change. I suppose the first question to ask is if it has been like this since you bought the car? Also is it worse in Sport Mode?
The only instance of this issue I have come across was solved by a gearbox software reflash as Mike recommends, so hopefully Harwoods will soon get it sorted, but please do let me know as I am currently compiling a list of known XF faults (which I hope will be very few!) for a future edition of the magazine.
Peter
Peter
1963 Mark 2 3.4
2005 XK8 4.2-S Convertible
2009 XF 3.0D PL

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Gear change quality

Postby davidr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:46 pm

When I had a 2.2 XF I thought the gear change was practically imperceptible. Certainly never jolted, even when using sport mode and giving it some.
It sounds to me like you have an issue and getting it checked out whilst it's still in warranty is a sensible precaution.
Hope it goes well!
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

jonjeffryes
Posts:206
Joined:Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Gear change quality

Postby jonjeffryes » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks David,

It's in next week so hopefully their thought that a reflash will sort things out will prove correct.

regards

Jon

User avatar
Rictus

Member
Posts:200
Joined:Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: Gear change quality

Postby Rictus » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks David,

It's in next week so hopefully their thought that a reflash will sort things out will prove correct.

regards

Jon
Jon, did you have any success with the gearbox issues?

Peter
Peter
1963 Mark 2 3.4
2005 XK8 4.2-S Convertible
2009 XF 3.0D PL

jonjeffryes
Posts:206
Joined:Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Gear change quality

Postby jonjeffryes » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi Peter,

I had to cancel and rebook in for this coming Friday for remedial action, service and recall. The change is definitely aggressive from 1st to 2nd and softens as it changes up through the gears. As far as the comparison in sport mode...I don't know and will have to try it - I rarely have used the flappy paddle mode apart from when the car let me down in Germany (restricted performance mode).

So, problems with the car to date. It's just over a year old with 32k miles covered - mostly autobahn/motorway. Rear brake pads at 16000 miles - that seems very low. Both front and rear pads changed for good measure. DAB radio reception is appalling - drops out with great frequency. Breakdown in Germany was caused by the intercooler pipe O ring collapsing due to the mounting bolts on the flange falling out - this is now subject to a recall where longer bolts will be fitted.....and of course the gearbox lurch.

I have to say the car is much better than the C class Mercedes it replaced in every way!

User avatar
Rictus

Member
Posts:200
Joined:Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: Gear change quality

Postby Rictus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks for the update Jon and fingers crossed for Friday :D

The short life of brake pads is a common complaint with XFs and 15-25,000 miles appears about normal. Short life these days is due to the softer friction material used in pads in modern times. Certainly if your 16,000 miles was mostly done on the motorways then it is pretty poor but many dealers are rather over cautious (or avaricious!) and change them long before they are due. As your second set of pads is still surviving after the same mileage, it will be interesting to see how much longer they go :)

Peter
Peter
1963 Mark 2 3.4
2005 XK8 4.2-S Convertible
2009 XF 3.0D PL

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Gear change quality

Postby J44EAG » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:19 am

As I understand it, Jaguar have never really cured a running clearance issue with the electronic handbrake arrangement.

Some years back I recall a local man acquired one of the first XF models. It was much admired. A couple of weeks after purchase I was looking at the car with him and noticed the OS rear brake disc was heavily scored. The NS was unmarked. The car was sent back to the supplying Main Dealer and the problem fixed. I don`t know the details of the rectification. May be the calliper piston was not retracting correctly.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Gear change quality

Postby davidr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:47 am

Jon- I found the DAB radio in my XF quite good. Certainly better than the one in my current Volvo V70 which does drop out far too often. I think it depends to a large degree on where you are. I can tell you all the dead spots on my normal commute and it appears to be a much more fragile signal than FM or even good old LW, Like all these technological advances, promises much but often doesn't deliver unless conditions are perfect.
Regards
David
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

jonjeffryes
Posts:206
Joined:Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Gear change quality

Postby jonjeffryes » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:16 pm

Thanks David,

The DAB is really poor in my car. It drops out all over the country and not always in the same place. I can also randomly go hours without a signal so something is definitely not quite right!

The DAB in my previous Mercedes was very much better.

J

jonjeffryes
Posts:206
Joined:Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Gear change quality

Postby jonjeffryes » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Finally arranged for the car to be serviced plus resolve the outstanding issues, but arrived home tonight to find an empty Jaguar sized parking space on my drive. The XF is currently sulking at Harwoods Crawley who have agreed that the gearbox is faulty (particularly 2nd to 3rd change), the DAB radio is faulty, the GPS touch screen is doubtful and the rear pads are toast...again....all at 1 year old and 32k mainly motorway/autobahn miles. Not pleased....

All the work (excluding the pads) will be under warranty - Harwood's will advise tomorrow on the timescale / actual work plan in the morning.

oldtimer
Posts:1311
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Gear change quality

Postby oldtimer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi All,
I cannot resist putting my peneth in with regard to rear brake pads and discs

I bought my 3 litre V6 new in 2003. In the early months whilst under Warranty I had a few issues, one of which was with regard to rear discs and pads.

I cannot remember the fob off but my reply was that I had never heard such a load of b*****ks in all my days. I followed this up with a letter to the Dealer Principal who in turn invited me to return the car for attention.

On enquiry as to the problem regarding the Pads/Discs I was told that they had replaced the electric brake cables with longer ones because as the car went up and down or heavy loads to the rear of the vehicle the brakes where applied.

I had grave reservations about this especially as only my wife and I were ever in the car.

That job was done at about 7/8000 miles

The millage is now at 44,000 and the discs and pads are still like brand new so exactly what did they do, one has to ask

A year or so ago I obtained an electric hand brake motor and winch complete with operating cables along with a discarded rear caliper. I stripped and inspected both the brake motor and caliper. As a result of all this I wrote an article which was published in our Magazine.

Now the upshot of all this is that I understand mechanical and electric systems but not the electronic element so I have scratched my head many times trying fathom out why the pads drag causing this horrendous premature wear.

My conclusion is that the electronic module governs the range of movement of the motor/winch from full on to full off. I would suggest that the controlling module is failing to allow the motor to run to the full position.

I would love to have had the opportunity to inspect this installation before any one had interfered with it.

The brake cable is attached to an operating lever mounted on the rear of the caliper. This lever has a fully off stop. I would home in on this stop to ensure the lever is in the fully off position.

I would love to find that the lever is not fully off indicating to me that the electronic control module is not allowing the motor/winch to fully release the brake.

Perhaps Main dealers have the equipment to reset the relationship between the motor and module.

I hope that helps a bit - the article throws more light on the subject

Oldtimer

jonjeffryes
Posts:206
Joined:Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Gear change quality

Postby jonjeffryes » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:12 pm

That's an interesting post oldtimer and probably more logical from what I have previously been advised.

I'm not sure that I had read somewhere or that it was the dealership explanation, that on the XF, rear brake usage is very high driven by DSC and engine speed retardation support (due to the lack of engine braking with the autobox).

This may be a load of rubbish of course, but seemed to make some sense. However most of my usage is long distance motorway/autobahn mileage 16k per set of rear pads seems excessive.

The gearbox has been reflashed to allow it to relearn my driving style and see if that improves the change. Based on the way it drove this am, that is not going to resolve the issue as it now has a more pronounce 'thump' between 2nd and 3rd. I'm using the car for a trip to Liverpool and Leeds next week so we will see what a few miles will do!

The DAB radio issue is the antenna on the roof (the sharks fin) which will take a week to arrive from Germany!! and will need painting to match the rest of the car. we will see....

The intercooler pipes have been upgraded under recall so that should stop another breakdown (the car let me down in Germany for this very fault)

User avatar
Rictus

Member
Posts:200
Joined:Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: Gear change quality

Postby Rictus » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:55 pm

Jon, sorry to hear your gearbox issue does not appear to be resolved yet. I have been scouring all available sources and this does seem to be a rare fault - so at least you're special!

With regard to the rear brakes I have checked my records and had my first pads changed at 25,000 miles. I am now at 50,000 and expect to them changed again at the next service. My driving is mixed so your predominantly motorway usage does point to a binding issue as oldtimer suggests. I will continue researching and report back any findings...

Fingers crossed,
Peter
Peter
1963 Mark 2 3.4
2005 XK8 4.2-S Convertible
2009 XF 3.0D PL


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest