Gearbox oil change

Moderator:cawthrm

eddie_delaine826
Posts:26
Joined:Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:19 pm
Gearbox oil change

Postby eddie_delaine826 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:09 pm

My 2010 XF 3.0 litre diesel has 73,000 on the clock and it seems that it ought to have a gearbox oil and filter change as I can find no record of it having had one. Having asked a local independent for a quote for that, as well as an oil service and a fuel pump drive belt replacement, together with what I have read on the forum, I am somewhat confused.

My quote includes for gearbox oil - 10 pints at £19.39/litre a sump pan at £173.27 and 1.5 hrs labour, all plus VAT. Is it necessary to replace the sump pan in order to replace the filter ... or what? The total comes to £589, Is this a reasonable charge for doing a gearbox oil change? Do others have any experience of the work involved and expected cost for this job?

Any help or guidance would be very welcome, thanks.

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: Gearbox oil change

Postby andypryce » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:25 pm

The oil is expensive and yes I believe the filter and sump pain are one, so you can’t just replace the filter. Certainly that’s the case with the XK and S type, so assume it is with the XF. I have paid not much less than that in the past. Don’t be tempted to go with cheaper oil.
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests