Gearbox oil change?
Moderator:cawthrm
Hi. I have just bought an XF 3.0D with 93000 miles on it. I used to own an X308 on which the gearbox failed at 100k miles, so my question is: should I have the gearbox oil and filter changed? (Bristol Transmissions did an excellent job fixing my X308 gearbox, but I wish to avoid that this time). Many thanks
First Jag was an LPG X308 XJ8; now have an XF 3.0D. I enjoy doing my own maintenance.
- raysearles

- Posts:397
- Joined:Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:47 pm
Re: Gearbox oil change?
Modern Jaguars are in theory, filled for life. But there are many tales and well documented threads in both the XJ and the S Type forums that demonstrate that gearbox problems will occur if the oil and filters are not changed around the 100k mark.
It is important to take the car to a garage that actually flushes out the old oil, as opposed to just draining it, to ensure you get all the rubbish and gunge out.
I shall be taking my XF to have its g/box oil changed at around 90-100k miles; the cost of the change relative to a new gearbox seems a small price to pay.
This is a question that I shall pose to XJK at next weeks seminar to get their opinion.
Hope this helps
Ray
It is important to take the car to a garage that actually flushes out the old oil, as opposed to just draining it, to ensure you get all the rubbish and gunge out.
I shall be taking my XF to have its g/box oil changed at around 90-100k miles; the cost of the change relative to a new gearbox seems a small price to pay.
This is a question that I shall pose to XJK at next weeks seminar to get their opinion.
Hope this helps
Ray
Ray
JEC Events Chairman
2011 XJ351 Premium Luxury (tbd)
1971 E Type 2+2 Series 3, (Sophee)
1999 XKR Convertible (K8)
JEC Events Chairman
2011 XJ351 Premium Luxury (tbd)
1971 E Type 2+2 Series 3, (Sophee)
1999 XKR Convertible (K8)
Re: Gearbox oil change?
Thanks for that - it confirms my opinion, especially having been "bitten" once already! I expect to be working on the 12th, so I can't make the XF symposium, otherwise I'd have been there. Kev
First Jag was an LPG X308 XJ8; now have an XF 3.0D. I enjoy doing my own maintenance.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest