Hi,
I have been following Mike K's Terraclean posts and his reference to checking the condition of the oil post treatment. As my XF oil check is automated with no dipstick involved any suggestions as to how to 'eyeball' the oil without major mechanical surgery.
Oh the joys of convenience over practicality!
Rod
Checking Oil
Moderator:cawthrm
Ex 2010 XF 3.0 Luxury Diesel
Ex 2004 XK8 Coupe
Ex 2004 XK8 Coupe
Re: Checking Oil
I suppose, Rod, you could remove the oil filler cap and wipe the inside with some white tissue. That would give you quite a good indication of oil colour.
The usual sequence as oil collects carbon particulate is from yellow when new, the slightly brown, then progressively to becoming steadily blackened.
Loosening the oil filter and letting a small quantity pour into a gas jar to about an inch depth would start to show really how blackened the oil has become. It is only when you have some depth of oil in a container that you can really see what the condition is.
Having monitored the post Terraclean effects on my own car closely, I would perhaps say that an oil and filter change around 3,000 miles after the Terraclean, would be no bad idea.
Hope that helps.
Mike
The usual sequence as oil collects carbon particulate is from yellow when new, the slightly brown, then progressively to becoming steadily blackened.
Loosening the oil filter and letting a small quantity pour into a gas jar to about an inch depth would start to show really how blackened the oil has become. It is only when you have some depth of oil in a container that you can really see what the condition is.
Having monitored the post Terraclean effects on my own car closely, I would perhaps say that an oil and filter change around 3,000 miles after the Terraclean, would be no bad idea.
Hope that helps.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Checking Oil
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the suggestions. I miss a dipstick. Nothing like seeing the dipped oil and giving it the smell and touch test. I think Jaguar are trying to insulate the driver/owner from anything to do with any maintenance other than check and top up.
I am considering investing in a Terraclean - from your advice best timed so the next service will take care of the oil change as routine.
Rod
Thanks for the suggestions. I miss a dipstick. Nothing like seeing the dipped oil and giving it the smell and touch test. I think Jaguar are trying to insulate the driver/owner from anything to do with any maintenance other than check and top up.
I am considering investing in a Terraclean - from your advice best timed so the next service will take care of the oil change as routine.
Rod
Ex 2010 XF 3.0 Luxury Diesel
Ex 2004 XK8 Coupe
Ex 2004 XK8 Coupe
Re: Checking Oil
Seems a reasonable idea, Rod.
I see you have a diesel. The oil is obviously likely to go blacker quicker than a petrol model.
What would I do? I think I`d do an early oil drop, refill, do a Terraclean, then oil drop again perhaps around two thousand miles later.
Mike
I see you have a diesel. The oil is obviously likely to go blacker quicker than a petrol model.
What would I do? I think I`d do an early oil drop, refill, do a Terraclean, then oil drop again perhaps around two thousand miles later.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Checking Oil
Fortunately my 2012 XF V6 petrol has a dipstick.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
