Page 1 of 1

Hello from Linc's.

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:31 pm
by RayH777
Hi all, this is my first post.
I bought my first Jaguar 4 weeks ago from a local car sales business. It's a 2011 XF 3.0 diesel, with 68000 miles on the clock.
It's done approx' 6500/7500 miles a year for the past 3 years or so; quite low mileage recently.
First thing I did after buying it was book it in to a local Jaguar independent specialist for an inspection, as I was given 3 months warranty when I bought it. The car was up on the ramp, a good look at 'problem areas' showed nothing amiss. The diagnostic codes machine was plugged in to see what codes had come up in the past, and to make sure all was ok. Air filter was checked and found to be clean and reasonably new. He also showed me how to use the tool for resetting the safety flap in the fuel filling compartment if I was to put the wrong pump nozzle in.
The independent was great, and let me have a good look around under the ramp with him. I even got a cuppa there :) So all in all I would whole heartedly recommend having an inspection done if, like me, you're not a mechanic, and want peace of mind after buying a car to be proud of. Total price...£30!!
Next thing I did was book the car in to a local valet business for 4 hours worth of cleaning and machine polishing. The cat now look stunning in it's dark green pearl paintwork.
Next, a trip to Kwik Fit to get the tracking checked. It needed adjusting as I could see on the screen on the wall in their waiting area. Well worth getting this done. Cost £75, but I upgraded to a deal for 2 years (£120), where I can take her back every 3 months for 2 years to have it checked and adjusted for no charge. When you consider how bad our roads can be, I think it's worth the extra.
Lastly, I bought a very good cover for the car as it will be parked outside on my drive. The company is called Classic Additions, and again, I'd recommend getting a cover to protect the paintwork from birds, etc. Have a look at their website.
The way I figure it, if you're buying a Jaguar, you want it to look the business!

Re: Hello from Linc's.

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:21 pm
by andypryce
Welcome! Hope you enjoy the car, I loved my XF, but unfortunately cannot keep a car more than 2 years, much to the annoyance of my very patient wife!

Re: Hello from Linc's.

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:39 am
by Zennan101
Welcome. Enjoy your XF. You will get a lot of advice from this Forum. I would suggest that first on your to do list is check if the auto box has had an oil and filter change. If it hasn’t at 68k it’s due . It’s not a service item as Jaguar say the box is ‘sealed for life’ but this is very misleading and the oil and filters should be changed as preventative maintenance. Changed mine at 53k when I purchased mine.

Re: Hello from Linc's.

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:48 pm
by RayH777
I would suggest that first on your to do list is check if the auto box has had an oil and filter change. If it hasn’t at 68k it’s due . It’s not a service item as Jaguar say the box is ‘sealed for life’ but this is very misleading and the oil and filters should be changed as preventative maintenance.
Thanks very much for your advice, I will ask my local independent specialist about this.

Re: Hello from Linc's.

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:26 am
by RichardSEL
I would suggest that first on your to do list is check if the auto box has had an oil and filter change. If it hasn’t at 68k it’s due . It’s not a service item as Jaguar say the box is ‘sealed for life’ but this is very misleading and the oil and filters should be changed as preventative maintenance.
Thanks very much for your advice, I will ask my local independent specialist about this.
They've stopped saying that now. It's even in the service schedule listing sheet nowadays.
(VW used to say the same until VW north America decided to put it in their service sheet and blew the gaff! It was all over the forums by that time and VAG were forced into a humiliating climbdown :P )

Worth it. Had both my XJ8 3.2L boxes done -- one had ATF a passable cherry colour with some black in it, the other was black with many swarf fragments clustered on the magnets at the bottom of the sump. Mileages were 115k and 147k