XF Newbie - I expect !

Moderator:cawthrm

User avatar
atheda

Member
Posts:6
Joined:Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:38 pm
XF Newbie - I expect !

Postby atheda » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:07 pm

I am considering buying an XF V6 Diesel Saloon Premium Luxury 2013 with 29k miles on the clock. Its from a Jaguar dealer and is in their Approved Used scheme. I am fairly nervous about this as my current car is a Land rover Disco 2 now 14years old. I have had it for 11 years and it is really industrial strength motoring, not many electronic systems and doesn't bother too much about pot holes.
Going to the Jag I recognise I will have to be more careful - low profile tires for one. I have seen one or two posts (on other forums) about the V6 diesel having problems with the regeneration of the particle filter causing very serious engine damage. Does any one know about this ? I assume that if this is managed Ok it should not be a problem. Any views on my choice of vehicle gratefully received.

Regards
David
David Atherton

2013 XF Premium Luxury V6D

User avatar
Zennan101
Posts:524
Joined:Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:40 pm
Location:South Devon - UK

Re: XF Newbie - I expect !

Postby Zennan101 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:20 am

Hi David,

I have had an XF 3.0 Diesel for two and a half years now and have had no problems with the PDF filter so far. The perceived wisdom is that short journeys and city driving are the culprits as the PDF cleaning cycle doesn’t get a chance to do its job properly.
I don’t do a high mileage and a lot of short journeys so I am not so sure. My theory is that I am managing the situation by always using top grade diesel and use Shell Nitro Diesel whenever I can. I can’t prove it but I think the additives do the job and I put through a dose of Cataclean once every three months as ‘maintenance’. I pay more at the pump but this is offset by improved mpg and no PDF issues.
Others don’t seem to be so lucky and have reported continual PDF problems but this may be because of their driving patterns or, if my theory is good, using budget diesel.
The XF is a fantastic car and I am sure you will love the drive. I’d only change mine for another XF.

Rod
Ex 2010 XF 3.0 Luxury Diesel
Ex 2004 XK8 Coupe

User avatar
RichardSEL
Posts:845
Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: XF Newbie - I expect !

Postby RichardSEL » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:53 am

On the VW Passat tDI series (yes them!) there's a high revs cycle that comes on if no continual longer trips are made to clean the DPF over a given time frame -- if that's interrupted it restarts but from the beginning again causing wonderment if not expected :roll:
Never had a diesel myself <cough, splutter, sneeze> Don't yours have this "cleaning" cycle pre-programed in?

I don't know whether Cataclean works with DPFs -- there are proprietary addative cleaners for DPFs out there but in the VW forums they've been categorised as "snake oil" and only a DPF replacement will properly do the job

Yes, supermarket soup diesel fuel has been rubbished as having a higher wax content -- on the petrol side I've caught (when driving a petrol Passat for 10 years as a daily) Sainsburys (kiosk attendant admitted it was 92RON) and Asda (who wouldn't say what their premium grade was) at it. So you're right to use the best available FWIW
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

User avatar
atheda

Member
Posts:6
Joined:Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: XF Newbie - I expect !

Postby atheda » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:46 pm

Thanks for your responses. Had a good test drive this morning and have bought the vehicles. Your comments regarding using premium diesel were echoed by the sales man. Really looking forward to collecting the car week after next (am away for a few days in the meantime). I imagine I'll have to join JEC now . :D

David
David Atherton

2013 XF Premium Luxury V6D

User avatar
Zennan101
Posts:524
Joined:Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:40 pm
Location:South Devon - UK

Re: XF Newbie - I expect !

Postby Zennan101 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:46 pm

Yes. There is a cleaning/regeneration cycle built in. The problem seems to be that short trips don’t produce the necessary conditions for the cycle to work effectively. High temperatures over a proscribed time are necessary to achieve full burn off and regeneration. As I recall that’s 20 minutes of driving at a steady 45-75mph once the engine is up to temperature.
I agree Cataclean is not designed to clean the PDF filter specifically but If it helps keep keep the engine running sweet it will help keep PDF emissions down and reduce the problem. I am convinced that the key is quality fuel.
It’s hard sometimes to throw away the money off vouchers from Tesco, or your favorite supermarket of choice, but I prefer to give my XF Cat a healthy diet!
Ex 2010 XF 3.0 Luxury Diesel
Ex 2004 XK8 Coupe

User avatar
RichardSEL
Posts:845
Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: XF Newbie - I expect !

Postby RichardSEL » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:20 am

Tesco actually state the RON value on their pumps.

That complies with what Trading Standards told me -- as against Waitrose, Asda, and Sainsburys that only have a "this product complies with BS <bla, bla> " sticker on their pumps.

I lodged a formal complaint with trading standards (local Asda had before been showing a 95RON sticker, the minimum for my chipped Passat) that they had changed to only showing the BS (BS) sticker. And I hadn't noticed. Within a fortnight both Asda Charlton and Gravesend had changed their stickers back to the required RON ones. And within a month had reverted again to the BS ones. I gave up. :cry:
So what they're doing with their Derv is anyone's guess

I don't know about Tesco's Derv though... All I know is never had any bother with Tesco's petrol (95RON and Momentum 100RON). If I was taking the Passat on a long run with some "fun" driving involved, I used Shell V-Power. Just for the cleaning agent in it you understand, not that it's 99RON. Oh no :D

Used it first time coz the Passat had developed dead spots in acceleration with the other rubbish. And the occasional misfire. So was nervous of clogging up the injectors. (free VW one time recall on tFSI 2.0L injectors BTW, VW have dumped Bosch. And now recommend NGK plugs instead -- but I'm wibbling :lol: )
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest