Adding a new Key fob

Moderator:ct575

steve.pritchard146

Member
Posts:69
Joined:Sun May 05, 2019 9:44 am
Location:Calne
Adding a new Key fob

Postby steve.pritchard146 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:41 am

Hi all,
I hope every-one is managing to stay safe!

I'm looking for a little advice..

My car came with a single key/fob/remote (whatever you call it) and I'm uncomfortable with only having one key so when purchasing I put pressure on the seller to provide a second key.

He duly purchased a brand new key and sent the car to the local dealer to get it programmed and was informed that a 'controller module' was required to be fitted and then the key programmed.

Of course I didn't want to delay receiving the car so agreed to take the spare key and a discount to cover the fitting of the module/programming etc.

I subsequently put the car into my local dealer for a service and asked them to investigate and unsurprisingly they said the same thing, a module was required before they could do the re-program.

I thought that before I hand over £400 for the part + programming I would research further as:

1. I would have thought that all new cars came with two fobs/keys and therefore would have all the required modules to support them.
2. I have the "British diagnostics" software on order which does allow key programming
3. If a module is required I am assuming it is part num C2D2942 (keyfob recognition most likley) or part num C2D3641 (passive keyless entry -probably not)


So my questions are:

1. Can anyone who purchased one new confirm it came with two keys as standard (it doesn't seem like a second key was a costed option)
2. Can anyone confirm what the module part number is to recognise a fob
3. It seems to me a second key should "just be supported" and require reprogramming
4. Anything else I've missed or that I should consider


All thoughts gratefully received


Regards


Steve
Current:
2001 XKR silver, 2008 XJ Blue, 1986 Land Rover Defender, 1967 3.8S cream
Past:
S500, Porsche 944 Cab, Porsche 928 GT, porsche 944 Lux ,Volvo XC90,Volvo S80 T6,Jaguar XJS v12,Volvo C70,Mini R56 Cooper S,Land rover Discovery, Range Rover V8 HSE

Ivan90

Member
Posts:5
Joined:Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: Adding a new Key fob

Postby Ivan90 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:14 pm

Hi Steve,
Which car is the key fob for?
I am no expert but I have seen videos on youtube etc on key fob programming and it is often set the ignition to the first position flash the head lights a number of times depending on the car model etc. Then you hear a bleep, then you press a key on the key fob and it's done. It seems to me the module you have been quoted is maybe the fee required for the dealer to do as you can do from the above. A modulein name is more acceptable than please give me £400.00 to programe your fob (Call me a synic! lol)
If you have not already done it check out the internet Youtube what do you have to lose!

abbirkin

Member
Posts:20
Joined:Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Adding a new Key fob

Postby abbirkin » Mon May 04, 2020 9:59 am

Hi
Just to confirm that you do get two key fobs with a new car.
Barrie


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest