Morning all
I am thinking of putting my xk8 on SORT for the winter, in a warm dry garage.
Any information on the pros and cons of storing a car for 6 months would be very helpful
Many thanks Eddie
Overwintering xk8
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Overwintering xk8
If you SORN any car for a long period, there are a few things to do which should help preserve it in tiptop condition. Firstly, don't be tempted to pull it out of the garage, wash it and put it back for winter. That way, you leave the paintwork and the brakes damp and the engine full of petrol which will wash the oil from the cylinder walls. It's much better to wash the car on a dry day and then give it a run to get it fully warm (10 miles +) before storing it. Leaving the battery connected to a battery conditioner whilst the car is being stored is always a good idea. Similarly, fitting a car cover will reduce the risks of dust scratching the paintwork. Assuming you don't have the luxury of a heated and dehumidified garage, to keep interiors fresh and mould-free, leaving windows ajar to maintain a flow of fresh air is a good idea, security issues permitting. The weight of the car on tyres resting in the same place for a long period will cause them to go out of round so rotating them regularly or taking the weight of the car off them is recommended. Also, using 40psi tyre pressures in storage can help to reduce the 'square tyre' effect. The jury is out when it comes to deciding whether it's better to start and run the engine from time to time. The issue is that unless the engine is run for a very long time indeed, without applying load to it the engine will struggle to warm fully through, leaving it full of excess fuel as mentioned above. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: Overwintering xk8
Thanks Mike
For your quick response, and the useful information.
I will go ahead and store it, following your recommendations
Thanks Eddie
For your quick response, and the useful information.
I will go ahead and store it, following your recommendations
Thanks Eddie
Re: Overwintering xk8
All I would add to Mike's comprehensive list is to change the engine oil just before doing the 10 mile run and if the brake fluid hasn't been changed in the last two years, I'd change that too.
Some have reported difficulties with getting the fob to open the door locks after a long period without use. This is believed to be due to the car going into a 'deep sleep' after about 28 days if left locked (As it should be to allow the maximum number of systems to shut down and minimize battery current drain)
Opening the car with the key manually re-wakes everything and the remote fob and, hopefully the car itself, leap back into life ready for the summer!!
Some have reported difficulties with getting the fob to open the door locks after a long period without use. This is believed to be due to the car going into a 'deep sleep' after about 28 days if left locked (As it should be to allow the maximum number of systems to shut down and minimize battery current drain)
Opening the car with the key manually re-wakes everything and the remote fob and, hopefully the car itself, leap back into life ready for the summer!!
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2024 XE 300 Sport
2024 XE 300 Sport
Re: Overwintering xk8
Thanks Astromorg
For your useful information, I had the engine oil and gearbox oil changed 4 weeks ago, I have the car on a slow trickle charge
Thank you
Regards Eddie
For your useful information, I had the engine oil and gearbox oil changed 4 weeks ago, I have the car on a slow trickle charge
Thank you
Regards Eddie
Re: Overwintering xk8
Hello ybur,
A quick note to say I agree with Astromorg. My car is a 1998 XK8 and if it is not used for several weeks it goes to sleep and has to be woken up using the key.
Doug Barrass,
Ashford, Kent.
A quick note to say I agree with Astromorg. My car is a 1998 XK8 and if it is not used for several weeks it goes to sleep and has to be woken up using the key.
Doug Barrass,
Ashford, Kent.
Re: Overwintering xk8
Hi Doug424
Thanks for your input
Do you lock the car ? Do you start the car at all ?
Thanks Eddie
Thanks for your input
Do you lock the car ? Do you start the car at all ?
Thanks Eddie
Re: Overwintering xk8
Hello Eddie,
The car always locked, in a locked garage. From time to time on a dry, not windy day, I will open the main door to let air circulate about the car and garage. I leave the car nearly all the time connected to a battery conditioner/trickle charger. I aim to run it every 4 to 6 weeks, always waiting for a dry day. I do not use a car cover as I had problems with the paint becoming damaged after using a genuine Jaguar car cover. Jaguar paid for repairs to the car, with the condition that I did not use a cover. So my garage is a "no touch car cover" not a garage.
Doug Barrass.
The car always locked, in a locked garage. From time to time on a dry, not windy day, I will open the main door to let air circulate about the car and garage. I leave the car nearly all the time connected to a battery conditioner/trickle charger. I aim to run it every 4 to 6 weeks, always waiting for a dry day. I do not use a car cover as I had problems with the paint becoming damaged after using a genuine Jaguar car cover. Jaguar paid for repairs to the car, with the condition that I did not use a cover. So my garage is a "no touch car cover" not a garage.
Doug Barrass.
Re: Overwintering xk8
Hi Doug
Interesting information, especially about the car cover !! I bought one but took it back, because of the problems you mentioned, I think I will give it a run about 4/6 weeks, maybe 40 miles
Kind regards
Eddie mortlock
Interesting information, especially about the car cover !! I bought one but took it back, because of the problems you mentioned, I think I will give it a run about 4/6 weeks, maybe 40 miles
Kind regards
Eddie mortlock
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest