First time Jaguar owner in Gloucestershire

Moderators:Popsjag, J44EAG

User avatar
Partick-the-Cat
Posts:5
Joined:Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 am
First time Jaguar owner in Gloucestershire

Postby Partick-the-Cat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:22 am

Good Morning.

My name is Dave, known to some as 'Arch', and I live in Thornbury, just north of Bristol. My posting name, Partick-the-Cat, is actually the car's name. (paRTick, [not paTRick] - followers of Scottish football will understand the allusion :wink: ).

I'm retired (64), and used to work as a trainer in the electricity supply industry - the old CEGB (latterly Nuclear Electric) at Oldbury-on-Severn.

I bought a 2008 XJ Sovereign 2.7 Tdvi (Botanical Green) a couple of months ago. It's a LWB but that was perforce as I was looking for one with a sunroof, which in my opinion is essential in a car. My reaction so far is that 'it's just a bl***y lovely car'

My day-to-day car is a Hyundai Getz 1.4, which is my second Getz and in my opinion a superb little bus.

I passed my driving test in 1966 within three months of my seventeenth birthday, but first drove a car (my Dad's Morris 1000 on a disused airfield) when I was thirteen. My first car (1965) was a 1954 Mk-C Bond Minicar (3-wheeler); other cars of note would be a 1987 Nissan (M10) Prairie and a 1990 Mercedes 2.6 190E.

My other interests are: Amateur Radio (G4ZOG) but rather lapsed; Astronomy/Astrophysics; Old (Classic) film; Music (classical, dance/big band, film, popular [before 1970]); and, church bell-ringing (change-ringing).

cheers

Dave
2008 LWB (& sunroof) XJ Sovereign 2.7 Tdvi (Botanical Green)

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Re: First time Jaguar owner in Gloucestershire

Postby Brakebuster » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:09 pm

welcome Dave ( football.........whats that ? this is RUGBY country , lol )

Glad your enjoing your first Jag , long may it be so , good to hear about you and your cars, I'm up in Glos myself , and have a restored XJS and an X-Type at the moment ( and will hopefully sell my MGF on Saturday )

I also had an X308 Sovereign for a long time, and was probably the best car i ever owned

you just missed a full weekend of classic cars here in gloucester, but there are many more shows to attend this summer

BB :)
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type

User avatar
jBlackwell

Site Admin
Posts:1055
Joined:Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:19 pm
Location:Cwmbran

Re: First time Jaguar owner in Gloucestershire

Postby jBlackwell » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:27 pm

Welcome,
Not missed everything, there is a great show at Berkley Castle this Sunday, not a million miles from you in Thornbury either.

James

barrywi

Member
Posts:263
Joined:Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: First time Jaguar owner in Gloucestershire

Postby barrywi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:37 pm

Welcome to the club and 350 ownership . I have just returned from France on a long holiday so should be up to speed by the weekend if you need to ask me any questions by email or phone. Look forward to maybe seeing you at the Northern or Southern days if you want see a lot of Jaguars.
Barry ( X-350 coordinator )

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: First time Jaguar owner in Gloucestershire

Postby davidr » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:03 am

Dave - welcome to the forum and congratulations on a good choice of car! Hopefully you'll find the forum useful, friendly and informative. There's a great fund of knowledge that people are only too happy to share.
I too have recently acquired a diesel XJ (although its far from my first Jaguar!). I'm astonished by how economical it is. I've seen nearly 50 mpg on a longer run and average about 40 mpg in my meanderings around Wiltshire. It's also reasonably quick - feels as fast as the XF I used to have and is more driveable than either of my XJS's. Comfort of course is supreme.
I have to agree with BB about your choice of sport - our rugby teams down here in the South West are rather more successful than our soccer teams!,
Regards
David
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: First time Jaguar owner in Gloucestershire

Postby ptjs1 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:11 am

Dave,

Welcome to the club and welcome to the X350 section of the club Bulletin Board. You'll find other owners will be happy to share their input and expertise here on the Bulletin Board.

Congrats on the purchase of your X350. As you've already realised, they are great cars and incredible value at present. And a Sovereign LWB is a very nice model to own! Keep on top of teh maintenance and you'll be a happy owner.

Try and find the opportunity to come to Northern or Southern Day and chat to fellow enthusiasts.

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

User avatar
Partick-the-Cat
Posts:5
Joined:Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 am

Re: First time Jaguar owner in Gloucestershire

Postby Partick-the-Cat » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks everybody - I may go to Berkeley on Sunday if the weather is reasonable (I'm ringing bells in Oxfordshire on Sat) - otherwise I'll probably turn up at the next Bristol Group meeting at Alveston which is a very short spit from me (not enough to even get it warmed up !)
2008 LWB (& sunroof) XJ Sovereign 2.7 Tdvi (Botanical Green)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest