Hi everyone.
I have recently bought my first Jag, an x358 registered april 2007.
Previously had a BMW 330d for 15 years but it died at 270k miles.
Looking forward to learning more about the marque and the club which was recommended to me by an old friend.
My car is a sport portfolio swb and seems to have been used in its early days as a photgraphers run around in the launch of the facelift just prior to the Munich motor show in 2007.I can't seem to get any more information about it from the heritage people as they said it was just speced up by the first buyer ( which was jaguar themselves) and they registered it as a sport portfolio A at DVLA but never used the designation again until the portfolio edition of the x358 with the 4.2 engine.The clubs vin number checker has it as a sport premium/ portfolio.
Regards
Richard
New member and new car
Re: New member and new car
Welcome Richard,
The JEC is the place to be if you own a Jaguar.
Please use this Bulletin Board as much as you like. We have many knowledgable members here who can help with technical issues should they arise.
The X350/358 is a well engineered vehicle and fairly easy to maintain given its high levels of complexity. It is capable of high mileage given good maintenance. It is certainly one of Jaguars best ever productions.
Good to have you with us.
Mike
The JEC is the place to be if you own a Jaguar.
Please use this Bulletin Board as much as you like. We have many knowledgable members here who can help with technical issues should they arise.
The X350/358 is a well engineered vehicle and fairly easy to maintain given its high levels of complexity. It is capable of high mileage given good maintenance. It is certainly one of Jaguars best ever productions.
Good to have you with us.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
- Cossington
- Posts:59
- Joined:Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:38 pm
- Location:Leicestershire
Re: New member and new car
Hi richardf1,
Welcome. 15 years with one car - that is loyalty. I hope you will be as happy with your X358 (I am sure you will be).
Any queries - do ask away - there are lots of helpful friendly people on here.
Best wishes,
David
Welcome. 15 years with one car - that is loyalty. I hope you will be as happy with your X358 (I am sure you will be).
Any queries - do ask away - there are lots of helpful friendly people on here.
Best wishes,
David
Current Jaguars-
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
2003 XJ X350 (4.2)
1983 XJ-S V12 HE with Manual gearbox conversion
Previous Jaguars and other notable cars-
1998 XK8
2003 S Type 2.7 Diesel, manual ('Hurray'; I love manuals)
2005 Maserati 4200
1998 TVR Chimaera 4.5
2005 Aston Martin DB9
Re: New member and new car
Hi,
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I look forward to many happy years motoring in my silver x358, its currently being fitted with a replacement engine as the engine blew up whilst it was being delivered ( so its under warranty).Hope it fairs better but it was an early x358 ( one of the first facelifts) but the 2.7 engine was long in production by 2007.
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I look forward to many happy years motoring in my silver x358, its currently being fitted with a replacement engine as the engine blew up whilst it was being delivered ( so its under warranty).Hope it fairs better but it was an early x358 ( one of the first facelifts) but the 2.7 engine was long in production by 2007.
Re: New member and new car
Hi Richard,
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the X350 section of the Bulletin Board.
The term "Portfolio" can get quite confusing. When Jaguar first used the term for the X350, it related to a specific model, the supercharged 4.2 X350 of 2006(?). However, when the X358 was introduced the term was then used effectively just as a trim level option on any of the models and engine combinations, including the 2.7 Diesel. This is why the specific characters in the VIN can identify the model (in your case a Sport / Sport Premium) but can't tell if it is a Portfolio option or not.
I hope that helps. Enjoy the car!
Paul
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the X350 section of the Bulletin Board.
The term "Portfolio" can get quite confusing. When Jaguar first used the term for the X350, it related to a specific model, the supercharged 4.2 X350 of 2006(?). However, when the X358 was introduced the term was then used effectively just as a trim level option on any of the models and engine combinations, including the 2.7 Diesel. This is why the specific characters in the VIN can identify the model (in your case a Sport / Sport Premium) but can't tell if it is a Portfolio option or not.
I hope that helps. Enjoy the car!
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: New member and new car
Hi Paul,
According to parkers the sport portfolio designation was used for a short period on Mid april 2007 to end of may 2007 and only 4 were registered with the dvla. I think all of them were Jaguar photographic cars with consecutive registrations, and were used in photoshoots for the launch of the facelift in May 2007. Post june 2007 they just used executive, sport premium and sovereign. I've seen most of the similar sport portfolios in various articles and mine appears in the autoexpress review http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/xj/16805/jaguar-xj.
According to parkers the sport portfolio designation was used for a short period on Mid april 2007 to end of may 2007 and only 4 were registered with the dvla. I think all of them were Jaguar photographic cars with consecutive registrations, and were used in photoshoots for the launch of the facelift in May 2007. Post june 2007 they just used executive, sport premium and sovereign. I've seen most of the similar sport portfolios in various articles and mine appears in the autoexpress review http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/xj/16805/jaguar-xj.
Re: New member and new car
Hi Richard,
Tks for that bit of info. Nice bit of history on your car! I was aware that Jaguar actually registered those 4 cars as "Portfolio" whereas the later ones were registered just under their prime model name and designated "Portfolio" as part of the enhanced trim. I've seen some 2008 and 2009 cars that were ordered as such. (I think that one of the 4 early 2007 cars has disappeared off the radar in recent years, perhaps exported or written-off?)
I think that Jaguar had some real naming / marketing challenges and inconsistencies throughout the X350 lifetime. They dabbled with a variety of names and trim levels perhaps trying to find out what really worked for the public. The use of "Portfolio", "Premium", "Super8", Super V8", "Daimler" etc is an archivists challenge. Very often, the VIN codes are not even unique for the various trim specs! It was only when they got to the X351 that they seemed to settle down on naming conventions.
Your paint colour really suits the big-bumper lines of the X358 (in my humble opinion!).
Cheers
Paul
Tks for that bit of info. Nice bit of history on your car! I was aware that Jaguar actually registered those 4 cars as "Portfolio" whereas the later ones were registered just under their prime model name and designated "Portfolio" as part of the enhanced trim. I've seen some 2008 and 2009 cars that were ordered as such. (I think that one of the 4 early 2007 cars has disappeared off the radar in recent years, perhaps exported or written-off?)
I think that Jaguar had some real naming / marketing challenges and inconsistencies throughout the X350 lifetime. They dabbled with a variety of names and trim levels perhaps trying to find out what really worked for the public. The use of "Portfolio", "Premium", "Super8", Super V8", "Daimler" etc is an archivists challenge. Very often, the VIN codes are not even unique for the various trim specs! It was only when they got to the X351 that they seemed to settle down on naming conventions.
Your paint colour really suits the big-bumper lines of the X358 (in my humble opinion!).
Cheers
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: New member and new car
When I was looking for a suitable X350R last year, I was drawn towards an 05 Portfolio, black with side vents. I think it was for sale in the Eaton/Harrow area. I was suspicious of the Portfolio name and not knowing that Portfolio had been applied, I thought someone was taking the rise.
Given what I know now, perhaps I should have gone and seen the car.
Mike
Given what I know now, perhaps I should have gone and seen the car.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: New member and new car
Hi,
The 4th car disappearing was mine as it has been sorned for 2 years as it was for sale and with various dealers. Once I get it back hopefully this Friday with a replacement engine, it will be back to 4. Really looking forward to a few runs out in it.
It has been "enhanced" with the silver side vents which I'm not sure are an improvement. Is there a viewpoint on this ?
Regards
Richard
The 4th car disappearing was mine as it has been sorned for 2 years as it was for sale and with various dealers. Once I get it back hopefully this Friday with a replacement engine, it will be back to 4. Really looking forward to a few runs out in it.
It has been "enhanced" with the silver side vents which I'm not sure are an improvement. Is there a viewpoint on this ?
Regards
Richard
Re: New member and new car
If the vents are chromed metal, then there will be adhesion difficulties if you decide to spray paint them. If plastic and in just plain silver paint, then they could be flatted down and over-painted without difficulty. I`ve done my plastic chromed bumper boomerangs to body colour using that method. Halfords will mix aerosol paint to your body code colour. Retail, it is about £16 a can or 25% less if you have a trade card.
Whether one likes the look of the 358 type vents is somewhat subjective. I`ve seen the 350 with the big square tye vents which to my eye look a bit clumsy and out of keeping. The rather more slender XF units with curved tops and bottoms are more delicate and are more pleasing aesthetically. (Sorry spell check not working).
With or without? The vents do seem to add gravitas and presence. I`m in two minds as to whether I like them.....but I do like the big front bumper styling.
Mike
Whether one likes the look of the 358 type vents is somewhat subjective. I`ve seen the 350 with the big square tye vents which to my eye look a bit clumsy and out of keeping. The rather more slender XF units with curved tops and bottoms are more delicate and are more pleasing aesthetically. (Sorry spell check not working).
With or without? The vents do seem to add gravitas and presence. I`m in two minds as to whether I like them.....but I do like the big front bumper styling.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: New member and new car
Richard,
It's all a very personal thing but I prefer the vents body-coloured. However with your silver car, the vents would not look out of place in chrome IMO.
I also quite like the original Portfolio vents as fitted on those few unusual X350 cars. They are quite of their time and aggressive-looking. The more integrated vents of the X358 are more in keeping with the rounded X358 bumper style.
If yours is the "4th car" then it seems that it never got Sorned, it just fell off as being untaxed. If the dealer has now registered to your name, you might want to immediately Sorn it to avoid getting fined!
Cheers
Paul
It's all a very personal thing but I prefer the vents body-coloured. However with your silver car, the vents would not look out of place in chrome IMO.
I also quite like the original Portfolio vents as fitted on those few unusual X350 cars. They are quite of their time and aggressive-looking. The more integrated vents of the X358 are more in keeping with the rounded X358 bumper style.
If yours is the "4th car" then it seems that it never got Sorned, it just fell off as being untaxed. If the dealer has now registered to your name, you might want to immediately Sorn it to avoid getting fined!
Cheers
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: New member and new car
Hey Mike! Just as well I'd decided to polish my car before you photographed it at the Portsmouth group event! (second picture, HY06 VZM)
Brian
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

