A chance meeting with robv12 while with davidr at Stoneleigh earlier this year reminded me just how good the X-350's are and that perhaps one might be the solution to my problem of what to replace an ageing Discovery and a CLK500 with. The obvious choice (so I thought) was the TDVi. I decided to attend the X-350 seminar, conveniently just a few weeks later and though an excellent seminar (as normal) was put off buying a diesel within the first hour! So my thoughts turned to a petrol one and then perhaps a petrol one running on LPG. When I discovered just how fast the super-charged ones are it became an obvious choice to get an XJR or a Super V8. I settled on a LWB Super V8 to maximise speed, space and comfort.
I got close to buying one for a shade less than 10k from a dealer in Kent, but the deal fell through on price and servicing. Then a cheap, high miler popped up on Autotrader. It was in Green with cream leather, a combination I was attracted to as I felt it looked less like a limousine in Green. The only problem at this stage was that the car was in Leicester and I in Aberdeenshire. And that's when the power of the JEC showed itself! I got in touch with Mike, the regional coordinator for Leicester (not realising that I had spoken to him at the seminar when he showed me his LPG converted XJR) hoping he could suggest someone close by in Leicester to take a look. Mike was good enough to go himself and did so within 24 hours. A deal was quickly done, knocking down the trader a few 100 pounds. He had taken it in as a part-ex with the usual X-350 faults (the ones I had the benefit of knowing how to fix, thanks to the 350 seminar) and was keen to get shot of it quickly.
That was on the Friday and on the Monday, I drove to Yorkshire to drop off the Discovery to someone I had arranged to sell it to and then on to Leicester to collect the 350. The next day I took it to Paul and Greg at Hyper Engineering in Oxfordshire. These are guys I have known for a long time since driving XJS's in the '90's. Given, that I had given them less than 24 hours notice, they were absolutely great. Between us we gave the car and oil and filters change and they had a good look over the car with me writing out a list of jobs to do. Overall it seemed the car was in pretty good shape and generally got a 'thumbs up' for the money. I now have a longish list of jobs to do, but again the boys were great, putting me in touch with their regular suppliers, so discs, pads and banana bushes were ordered from Birchwood Jaguar in Berkshire and a steering rack was ordered from Eurojag. That was picked up the next day when I drove back to Scotland. Back home, I gave the car a wash and polish and its looking fantastic. So far a new battery and a door seal has been fitted and a bonnet pull, parking sensors and suspension pump are soon to be fitted. And then a few other jobs to finish it off.
Got one!
Roger S
Aberdeenshire
E-TYPE MODEL SECTION COORDINATOR
Early E
1976 XJ-S - original factory manual. Currently in many pieces.
X350 - 2005 Super V8
1962 MGB
Aberdeenshire
E-TYPE MODEL SECTION COORDINATOR
Early E
1976 XJ-S - original factory manual. Currently in many pieces.
X350 - 2005 Super V8
1962 MGB
Re: Got one!
Well done!
These cars are the tops. They gobble the miles and can be reasonably economical on a long trip. The feel good factor is immense.
I always have an itch to change a car shortly after buying one. For the first time ever, the itch no longer exists. An XJR with a few tweeks does it for me.
Mike K
These cars are the tops. They gobble the miles and can be reasonably economical on a long trip. The feel good factor is immense.
I always have an itch to change a car shortly after buying one. For the first time ever, the itch no longer exists. An XJR with a few tweeks does it for me.
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Got one!
well done, enjoy, and here to help when you are my way
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
Re: Got one!
Thanks guys.
i forgot to mention one thing here in the story above. The first drive in the car from Leicester to Oxfordshire, on the Monday night - a dark and wet one - immensely impressed me. Even though there were warning lights on and various things not quite functioning the car was quite awesome.
Mike - can you tell me more about fault code scanners please? I know you briefly mentioned them at the seminar, but some details or recommendations would be great.
Rob - I did almost call by as I passed your place on the A1 last week. I will stop by sometime. I think you may have some spare wheels for these cars. If you do, then let me know. I'll be looking for a set to put winter tyres on. Either a set for winter tyres or a different set for normal use and I use the ones on the car for winter. I don't think the ones on it are genuine Jaguar ones.
i forgot to mention one thing here in the story above. The first drive in the car from Leicester to Oxfordshire, on the Monday night - a dark and wet one - immensely impressed me. Even though there were warning lights on and various things not quite functioning the car was quite awesome.
Mike - can you tell me more about fault code scanners please? I know you briefly mentioned them at the seminar, but some details or recommendations would be great.
Rob - I did almost call by as I passed your place on the A1 last week. I will stop by sometime. I think you may have some spare wheels for these cars. If you do, then let me know. I'll be looking for a set to put winter tyres on. Either a set for winter tyres or a different set for normal use and I use the ones on the car for winter. I don't think the ones on it are genuine Jaguar ones.
Roger S
Aberdeenshire
E-TYPE MODEL SECTION COORDINATOR
Early E
1976 XJ-S - original factory manual. Currently in many pieces.
X350 - 2005 Super V8
1962 MGB
Aberdeenshire
E-TYPE MODEL SECTION COORDINATOR
Early E
1976 XJ-S - original factory manual. Currently in many pieces.
X350 - 2005 Super V8
1962 MGB
Re: Got one!
Roger,
Well done on the purchase! I know from personal experience that an XJS and an X-350 make a great pair of weekend and daily driver cars!
I'm looking forward to hearing about all your little fixes and upgrades. You never know, if you see Mike, you might end up with my old rear suspension arms suitably refurbished with new bushes!
Also, don't forget to update your membership record with the new car details.
Cheers
Paul
Well done on the purchase! I know from personal experience that an XJS and an X-350 make a great pair of weekend and daily driver cars!
I'm looking forward to hearing about all your little fixes and upgrades. You never know, if you see Mike, you might end up with my old rear suspension arms suitably refurbished with new bushes!
Also, don't forget to update your membership record with the new car details.
Cheers
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Got one!
Hello Roger.
I use two handy scanners. One is the iCarsoft 930i from UK Diagnostics. Price is around ninety pounds. The second unit is a Torque app for my Android phone and a Bluetooth ELM327 plug in OBD chip. The chip is available on ebay for around seven pounds. I recall the App was downloaded for a similar figure. Both systems work well. Fault codes can be cleared by both.
Hope that helps.
Mike
I use two handy scanners. One is the iCarsoft 930i from UK Diagnostics. Price is around ninety pounds. The second unit is a Torque app for my Android phone and a Bluetooth ELM327 plug in OBD chip. The chip is available on ebay for around seven pounds. I recall the App was downloaded for a similar figure. Both systems work well. Fault codes can be cleared by both.
Hope that helps.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Got one!
Well done Roger! Looks lovely! Not jealous at all

XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible
Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

