Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Moderators:Popsjag, J44EAG

s.voss371

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Sun May 12, 2019 7:30 am
Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby s.voss371 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:45 am

I have a xj350 v6 and the gearbox is is playing up. The gear change is clunky and gearbox fault is coming up on the dash. I had a a new driveshaft replaced because the abs pick up ring was worn, and when i picked the car up it was fine, but after driving it for about 1/2 an hour it went back to clunky gear changes. Any ideas ?

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby J44EAG » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:35 am

The drive shaft is one issue and the gearbox is another. The driveshaft is unlikely to have any bearing on the gearbox problem. You may however still have ABS issues which may be down to a fault on any one of the other reluctor units on the other corners of the car. Dirty reluctor rings may be causing the ABS fault.

It is now accepted that the ZF garbox needs oil and filter changing at each and every 60k mileage occurrence. If you really want to look after one of these cars, then oil and filter changes at 50k mile intervals or every three of four years is prudent and good preventative maintenance. These cars were marketed as "filled for life". This was a crazy thing to say as oil does wear out. People will tell you it is not necessary. More fool them! A worn out gearbox due to lack of oil changing is likely to cost £3K. Make up your own mind as to the sensibility of spending around £400 every 60K to prolong transmission life.

With your gearbox issue, all may not be lost. I would suggest you take the car to an independent Jaguar repair garage or a dedicated and accredited specialist gearbox maintenance garage. Both will be able to diagnose your gearbox fault and tell you if the gearbox might just need an oil and filter change together with an ECU electronic re-flash. It is not unknown for a transmission to improve greatly by having just that action carried out.

See how you get on.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

s.voss371

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Sun May 12, 2019 7:30 am

Re: Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby s.voss371 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks, i think i will have to bite the bullet and get a gearbox service and hope it improves.

s.voss371

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Sun May 12, 2019 7:30 am

Re: Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby s.voss371 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:30 pm

Had the service and initially all was fine but as it warmed up the gear change was clunky and doesn't want to change up. i'm now dreading that it needs a new gearbox !!!!!

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby J44EAG » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:09 pm

Any advice offered by the servicing people?

Asssuming you have had the gearbox sump/filter and correct oil installed, did they also re-flash the gearbox software by taking the car for a run and re-setting parameters?

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

s.voss371

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Sun May 12, 2019 7:30 am

Re: Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby s.voss371 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:04 pm

I had it done by Swallows in Rooksbridge so i assume they know what they are doing. They have a good record from what i've seen on here

s.voss371

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Sun May 12, 2019 7:30 am

Re: Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby s.voss371 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:05 pm

They definitely did the flash and a software update.

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby J44EAG » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:55 pm

Mmmn,

Further investigation needed then?

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
3.8etypephil

Member
Posts:238
Joined:Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 pm
Location:Watton & Budapest.
Contact:

Re: Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby 3.8etypephil » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:54 am

It's worth trying a system reset for any gremlins on these. It costs nothing; disconnect the battery negative, leave it half an hour and reconnect. You will need to input your radio code and reset the one touch for the windows afterwards.
Beyond that, read the fault codes and work from there, bearing in mind that any component showing a defect could well actually be a poor electrical connection to that component, so try unplugging, cleaning contacts, and plugging in again before investing in any hardware.
Phil

2013 XFR
2008 XJR

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby J44EAG » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:12 am

I totally agree.

The best process is one of diagnosis, understanding and then a fix. Systematic checking will reveal which component is defective. It saves a lot of wild guess work and un-necessary purchase of parts which may not be needed. Minor corrosion or poor connections frequently conspire to cause issues as does battery condition.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

s.voss371

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Sun May 12, 2019 7:30 am

Re: Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby s.voss371 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:06 pm

after the first drive home from the gearbox service all has been well. I'm hoping that the slightly clumpy gear change was the gearbox settling in. My next problem on my long list is the engine sump is leaking. I bought a gasket thinking i would do it myself but after taking the drip tray off i had second thoughts.

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby J44EAG » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:03 pm

Getting the drip tray fastenings apart can be a job in itself.

A stainless/mild steel re-fastening kit can be found on ebay. It is likely to be better than the standard OE Jaguar parts which seriously corrode to solid lumps and can be impossible to remove. I`d suggest the ebay kit might prove better if used in conjunction with Duralac electrolytic barrier paste on assembly. Again you can find the paste on ebay. Use protective gloves as the paste has barium in it. Duralac stops mixed metal corrosion and you should find the clips and bolts come apart again fairly easily when you next come to get the tray off.

I find the tray an irksome and infuriating object to tackle when the car needs underside work. I got so naffed with mine that I took it off and off it has stayed! Now maintenance gets straight to the point when ever I lower myself to get down and under. Sorry to say that with a serious back condition and sciatica, my days of crawling around under cars are almost over. I tend to put the jobs out now to the trade which saves a load of personal pain and misery. I don`t like being sixty one years old....

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
RichardSEL
Posts:845
Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby RichardSEL » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:11 am

>>> my days of crawling around under cars are almost over. I tend to put the jobs out now to the trade which saves a load of personal pain and misery. I don`t like being sixty one years old....

61? Sixty-one? Just a kid. Wait 'till you're 72. And a bit rotund. And had got underneath a Mk IX like I used to years ago. Only to find that I couldn't get up and out again :oops: Luckily I had my mobile with me to call a neighbour who came out and stood around in the street laughing :cry:
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

s.voss371

Member
Posts:7
Joined:Sun May 12, 2019 7:30 am

Re: Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby s.voss371 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:45 am

The drip tray was ok to get off as they took it off when they did the gearbox service. I had a look, and if i had a ramp then i would have done it myself, but after 5mins of being under the car i thought sod this and booked it in to a local garage ! I'm only a sprightly 53 year old but arthritis has taken a hold already.

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Hi, i'm new to all this and i need help !!!!

Postby J44EAG » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:58 am

I have a damper bush gone and all the kit to do it. I used to do this type of work with ease but now I can`t. Off to a local garage goes my car next week for this job. I no longer want the pain!

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests