Page 1 of 1
Sensible mods for a 120?
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:51 pm
by Nabbott
I’ve just joined the group, so this is my first post.
I have a 120DHC that was my late fathers and it’s just arrived home from the US (it’s a left hooker). I’ve not really had much time to go through the car as it only arrived on Thursday and we’re just about to go off for Easter hols.
Looking at the car objectively I’d be interested in pursuing some sensible, modern upgrades so am interested in the groups wisdom on the following. I’m only going to use the car sparingly in the summer but as a concession to driving in modern traffic, my initial short list is:
- Spin-on oil filter conversion
- Headlights (these need changing as they’re currently LHD - are there sensible (bright) alternatives to the PF770?)
- Electronic ignition (either new integrated distributor or retro fit in the existing)
Winter jobs:
I’d be interested to hear whether I’m considering heresy OR if the above is sensible........
Thanks - Nabbott
Re: Sensible mods for a 120?
Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:12 pm
by piman
Hello Nabbott,
in order:-
Yes,
Yes,
Halogen lamps will be better with a proviso that existing wiring and switches may be less than perfect. Ideally use a relay for both main and dip, fed by generous sized cables for the power side. This reduces the load on the switches and gives more volts at the lamps which is beneficial. Check the earth connections from the lamps, they will likely need redoing.
My personal view is that refurbishing the existing distributor (Someone like The Distributor Doctor) points or elctronic add on is your choice, mine is points. I don't like the dip switch after market electronic distributors as their 'one size fits all' does not give the ideal setting.
Discs are again a personal choice, drums, as long as they are fully serviceable are fine for general motoring. It does depend on your driving style and terrain. If the drums need extensive work it could be better to simply convert ?
No overdrive I take it? 5 speed would give more relaxed cruising.
Alec
Re: Sensible mods for a 120?
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:47 pm
by Nabbott
Thanks @alec!
So wrt to the seat belts do you or anyone on here have recommendations for seatbelt fitment? I assume that retrofit belts can be done without welding - but I might be wrong?
On the whole electronic ignition side of things I’m ‘easy’ (I run an old triumph bike with a simple electronic ignition and based on that I’d pursue it for the car - “fit and forget”. The first thing I need to do though is tune it - which should give me an indication as to the state of the existing disty.
Re: Sensible mods for a 120?
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:26 am
by Nabbott
@piman - whilst I think about it.....
Is it worth going through the process of reversing the polarity of the car? My car has already been converted to Single 12v battery (but I assume it’s still +earth).
Running negative earth would allow me to install a Hidden AUX charging socket for running a phone - invariably for sat nab these days - but then also convert to an alternator...... which in turn would allow for running HiD headlight bulbs. Obviously - all of this is dependent upon the state of the wiring loom - which I ‘think’ is newish....
Are these also sensible mods?
Re: Sensible mods for a 120?
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:41 am
by piman
Hello Nabbott,
it's not a big problem to change polarity if you feel it's worth it.
Change the coil polarity and check the fuel pump. I know on some MK2 saloons they are polarity conscious as they have a diode rather than a capacitor for spark suppression of the points.
Retrofitting HID lamps are questionable from a legal point of view but a halogen conversion, especially if done in conjuction with a relay will be a good set up. The relay will reduce the load on old switches and cable connections.
Alec
Re: Sensible mods for a 120?
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:18 am
by Nabbott
So for anyone wondering just how much better the new lights/halogen bulbs are...... your wait is over:
One on the left is the original US sealed beam unit, the one of the right is a P700 (this is a LH drive vehicle so they shipped with smaller 7” lights - that have a significant cost advantage over the UK PF700 units), with a halogen bulb.
On taking the lights out and investigating the wiring (which was already converted to Neg earth), the loom is brand new so there was no need to alter the loom with relays etc..
Re: Sensible mods for a 120?
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:54 pm
by Nabbott
Next Job.......
Swapping the engine fan out. I bought an upgraded part from Guy Broad:
Trouble is on trial fitment (with the rad still in place just the top hose and clamps removed, the blades foul the underside of the (new, upgraded alloy) radiator.
So question is do I persist with the new fan (painstakingly removing 2-3 mm off each blade) OR stick the original fan back on? Anyone of here used the new upgraded part - is it worth the hassle? I have to think that 'fan science' has moved on a deal in the last 60+ years so wouldn't be at all surprised by the upgraded unit shifting a ton more air than the old unit........ but does the benefit out way the time and hassle to fit it?
Re: Sensible mods for a 120?
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:19 pm
by Nabbott
All fixed - but for anyone attempting this job it's a radiator out job (that bottom hose is a total PITA!). I had to dremmel the leading edges of each blade to provided tolerance on the bottom of the radiator header.