Could anyone give me a good advice on how to remove the front brake drums?
Is there any special tool for this, like a huge puller?
/Kent
XK120 - Removal of front brake drums
Moderator:MSB
Re: XK120 - Removal of front brake drums
Hello Kent,
the first and most obvious is to slacken the brake adjustment as much as possible, but maybe you have already done this?
While standard three legged pullers would do the job it shouldn't really be required unless the car has stood for many years and they have rusted into place. A heavy hide mallet and tap round the drum should bring it off quite easiy.
Alec
the first and most obvious is to slacken the brake adjustment as much as possible, but maybe you have already done this?
While standard three legged pullers would do the job it shouldn't really be required unless the car has stood for many years and they have rusted into place. A heavy hide mallet and tap round the drum should bring it off quite easiy.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
-
kent.falk533

- Posts:3
- Joined:Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:11 pm
Re: XK120 - Removal of front brake drums
Many thanks for you good advice.
My XK120 is a late example with self-adjusting front brakes, but despite this circumstance I managed to remove the first drum during the weekend using the method you proposed.
My XK120 is a late example with self-adjusting front brakes, but despite this circumstance I managed to remove the first drum during the weekend using the method you proposed.
Re: XK120 - Removal of front brake drums
Hello Kent,
I wasn't aware that they had slf adjusting brakes.
On some cars with self adjusting brakes there is a hole either in the drum or the back plate which has a rubber blank fitted (Normally) this is to allow for releasing the adjustment. It's worth a look if you are struggling with the second drum?
this sort of problem can be exacerbated if the drum has worn where the shoes contact as this leaves an unworn ridge at the outside edge which is obviously smaller in diameter than that of the shoes.
Alec
I wasn't aware that they had slf adjusting brakes.
On some cars with self adjusting brakes there is a hole either in the drum or the back plate which has a rubber blank fitted (Normally) this is to allow for releasing the adjustment. It's worth a look if you are struggling with the second drum?
this sort of problem can be exacerbated if the drum has worn where the shoes contact as this leaves an unworn ridge at the outside edge which is obviously smaller in diameter than that of the shoes.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
-
kent.falk533

- Posts:3
- Joined:Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:11 pm
Re: XK120 - Removal of front brake drums
Hello Alec,
Many thanks for your reply! I have now managed to remove the other drum as well. It all went fine without any struggle at all compared to the first one. I will now continue with the rear brakes. But as far as I know could the adjustment mechanism be slackened, and I do not expect any major problems. But you never know in advance. I hope to be back on the road before the end of the summer!
/Kent
Many thanks for your reply! I have now managed to remove the other drum as well. It all went fine without any struggle at all compared to the first one. I will now continue with the rear brakes. But as far as I know could the adjustment mechanism be slackened, and I do not expect any major problems. But you never know in advance. I hope to be back on the road before the end of the summer!
/Kent
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest