Pre HE fuel pipe clips

Moderator:LJR

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Pre HE fuel pipe clips

Postby mike020150 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:32 pm

To avoid the need to make up some non standard clips, I would love to find that some kind soul has either some new (brilliant!) or second hand (more likely) fuel pipe clips (C32746/3) that they would be willing to sell me. The clips are the white plastic pipe saddles, each with a single fixing hole. They hold the main 3/8" diameter outward and return fuel pipes to the underside of the car. Some of the clips are pop rivetted; others are held by self tappers. Unfortunately, age and exhaust heat can make them fragile. Jaguar used these clips on pre HE series 2 and possibly some series 3 saloons as well as the XJ-S.

If anyone could let me have a minimum of four clips, that would be great. Here's hoping! In the meanwhile, I'm off to tussle with my 4 speed autobox conversion. Mike. :)
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

oldtimer
Posts:1311
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Pre HE fuel pipe clips

Postby oldtimer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Mike.
I presume that you require these clips for your '77 v12 if so. My parts catalogue with clip C32746/3 goes over to CAC427 I penned in that number Dec2010 I am sure I obtained them from either SNG Barret or David Manners. I used them to secure the metal fuel pipes in the boot.
I have purchased so many little bits and pieces most of them no good and I afraid I can't remember sizes against part no's. I replaced all the rubber fuel hoses the old ones set like concrete
Hope that helps Old timer

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Pre HE fuel pipe clips

Postby mike020150 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:45 am

Hi Oldtimer, Thanks for the info. The clips are for my V12 coupe. I haven't done very well with all the usual suppliers who, to a man, all said that C32746/3 clips are no longer available and either left it at that or suggested acquiring them second hand. However, I suspect CAC427 may be an incomplete part number since none of the supplier sites I've tried this morning recognise it. Would it be possible for you to check your record of the number? Thanks, Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Pre HE fuel pipe clips

Postby mike020150 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:56 pm

Hi again Oldtimer,

Just a thought, your revised part number wasn't C44781, by any chance? If so, that's the later double pipe clip which is also like hens' teeth to find! Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

oldtimer
Posts:1311
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Pre HE fuel pipe clips

Postby oldtimer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi Mike,
I have been away for a few days ,sorry for the delay.
Right then, lets start again. I went into the workshop and found the Invoice for CAC427 and the clips. They are dreadful things, in my view not fit for any purpose.It comprises of a square plastic base with a fragile barbed peg for attaching to the floor panel and on the other side of the base is a wrap over strap to secure the pipe. I hav'nt a clue where that part number came from. I can only imagine that SNG Barret raised the number as an accommmodation number. I have several Parts Catalogues spread around the floor trying to track that No down, nothing. Can we close the book on that bit!
This afternoon I lowered the XJ down off the lift, emptied the boot, removed the spare wheel to remind myself of how I secured the 5/16 fuel pipe in the boot. "Senior moment "ya know. So I used metal 'P' clips with a bit of PVC insulation wrapped around the pipe first,then rivetted in place. Looks OK and is nice and secure.
It appears we both have the same parts supply problem, in my case the 5/16 fuel return pipe runs down the near side requiring C32746/3. Two pipes run along the off side ,being the 3/16 brake pipe and the 3/8 feed fuel pipe which requires the dual clip C37627.
So far nothing has been achieved accept we both know we have a problem, If I should ever track them down I'll let you know
Oldtimer

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Pre HE fuel pipe clips

Postby mike020150 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:30 am

Hi Oldtimer,
Thanks for all the digging around. In the meanwhile, I believe I may have stumbled across a supply of the same clip you used! Martin Robey sells them as replacements for the C32746/3 pipe clips. I have managed to fit two of them to a straight section of the return fuel pipe with a bit of pipe flexing but failed with the other two which are closer to bends. The problem is that the holes in the floorpan are located to one side of the pipe run but the replacement clips have fir tree fixings directly in line with the actual piece clipping the pipe and hence, the pipe run. I'm hoping that my two new clips plus judicious use of stainless lockwire on the remains of the other two will prove acceptable to my MoT tester when I finish the gearbox conversion. The eventual solution would seem to be to find a breakers with a suitable donor car and persuade them to let me loose with a battery powered drill, all for the sake of a few pence! Now it's back to adding multiple bends to the new dipstick/filler tube to thread it past the oil filter, exhaust and the battery. Oh what fun... :) Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

oldtimer
Posts:1311
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Pre HE fuel pipe clips

Postby oldtimer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi Mike.
What a huge amount of time and effort for such a trivial task. Just because we want to be right!
Sad to say but I think we are likely to come upon these types of problem more often as time passes. Should I ever find a proper fix I'll bear you in mind.
Regards Oldtimer
PS Good luck with the gearbox

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Pre HE fuel pipe clips

Postby mike020150 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks Oldtimer. What a good job this isn't a day to day car! Still, after 31 years' reliable service in my ownership, I suppose shouldn't complain too much. :) Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest