Jag or Daimler coupe Wanted - VG or excellent condition

Moderator:LJR

captaincrankit
Posts:15
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:23 pm
Location:South London
Jag or Daimler coupe Wanted - VG or excellent condition

Postby captaincrankit » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi All, this is my first post as I'm just new to the club.

I owned a S3 Daimler VDP V12 in 2009 for 12 months before a leaking rear main bearing seal got the better of me and sold it. Such a wonderful car.

Anyway, am now looking for a Daimler or Jag Coupe.

Preferred - Daimler 4.2 Auto with Silver paint,black interior and Webasto sunroof. I can dream of one being for sale just as I want it, can't I ?!?!? LOL :)

I would actualy consider most colours and would be OK with a manual gear box if the right car came along.

Obviously this car would be pampered as a weekend only car, so although the 4.2 is the sensible option, a 5.3 V12 coupe would also be wonderful and would not break the bank given the limited weekend miles.

I'm looking for the very good/excellent condition car and am prepared to pay at the top end of the guide price.

Please email or call me on julianwain@gmail.com 077 8892 5134

richardpierce
Posts:124
Joined:Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:38 pm

Re: Jag or Daimler coupe Wanted - VG or excellent condition

Postby richardpierce » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi Julian

I may consider selling my Daimler 4.2 Coupe Auto

It's on the register with photos under registration NRG 794R

Have a look and let me know if its the sort of thing you're looking for and we'll take it from there

Must stress though, it's only something I'm considering at the moment

Kind regards

Richard Pierce

User avatar
XjRestorations
Posts:216
Joined:Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 pm
Location:East Sussex
Contact:

Re: Jag or Daimler coupe Wanted - VG or excellent condition

Postby XjRestorations » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:00 pm

Coupe models are VERY much in demand right now. Look carefully at any prospective purchase. As prices are getting higher, bodges are getting better to up sale values :-)

If we hear of anything for sale - I will let you know.

All the best,
Keith

captaincrankit
Posts:15
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:23 pm
Location:South London

Re: Jag or Daimler coupe Wanted - VG or excellent condition

Postby captaincrankit » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks for the reply guys.

Richard, that's such a beautiful car, unfortunately the wife does not approve of the colour :(

The search continues !!

Best - Julian

User avatar
555ttg
Posts:169
Joined:Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: Jag or Daimler coupe Wanted - VG or excellent condition

Postby 555ttg » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:21 pm

I agree with Keith, watch for shoddy bodge jobs!
These models, although maybe the prettiest of all XJ variants, used to rot on the showroom floor, and have mostly been subjected to bodywork of varying degrees of proficiency over the years. My advice would be to look for the stalled restoration, or maybe a decent car, down at the mouth, that you can fettle and restore yourself, or have done for you,(plug for Keith), as at least that way, you will know what you are getting into and what you get out at the other end. I have seen some awful dogs sell for incredible sums, only to blister up and show their true state a year or 2 down the road, and then you will be faced with having to get it done properly or take a hiding on the selling price! Buy a cheaper 'project' and get it done properly, these are rare cars to begin with and they are getting fewer as each year goes on. I had a V12Coupe RHO44P back in 1980 when it was 4 years old and it was rotting away even then! Then I bought an XJ6C XTM814S at the same time I owned the V12, and even though it was only a couple of years old, the dreaded tin worm was starting then. So imagine, 36 years from the 1st release of these models, what they are likely to be like, and then imagine how many times they've been bodged over the years. Even 20 years ago, these were 'just another Jag' to the bodgers n the trade, and so would not have had the care and attention paid to them that they are undoubtedly worth. I live in Canada now, and it has taken me about 10 years to find an original car, that has never been faffed with, and yet still is solid enough to warrant a proper restoration! When you consider that over 50% of all coupes made, crossed the 'pond' that isn't very encouraging is it?
Good Luck!
Phil
1973 Series 1 XJ12 SWB
1977 Series 2 XJ6C
1987 XJ-S 5.3 litre auto Cabriolet
1989 LISTER modified XJ40
1993 XJS 4.0 litre Manual facelift

User avatar
XjRestorations
Posts:216
Joined:Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 pm
Location:East Sussex
Contact:

Re: Jag or Daimler coupe Wanted - VG or excellent condition

Postby XjRestorations » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Very sound advice Phil - and thanks for the plug ;-)

captaincrankit
Posts:15
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:23 pm
Location:South London

Re: Jag or Daimler coupe Wanted - VG or excellent condition

Postby captaincrankit » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks for all the advise guys.

Unfortunately not space or skils for a body restotration.

The issue is handing over 10k for something that looks great, but really is just a recent cover up job. Need to be thorough with pre purchase inspection.


"used to rot on the showroom floor" - LOL

What am I getting myself into !!!!

User avatar
XjRestorations
Posts:216
Joined:Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 pm
Location:East Sussex
Contact:

Re: Jag or Daimler coupe Wanted - VG or excellent condition

Postby XjRestorations » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:02 pm

They are great cars - if you get a good one!
Rot will be your biggest expense - so get the best you can afford to start with. Take a magnet with you when looking!

User avatar
555ttg
Posts:169
Joined:Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: Jag or Daimler coupe Wanted - VG or excellent condition

Postby 555ttg » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:27 pm

If you get a decent car that is midway through restoration or even just a tired car that needs restoring, and you can buy it for the right price, then I'm sure that even using a professional,REPUTABLE, shop you will get what you're after and know its right, for your budget. Our own club can help, with Keith as forum coordinator and also a restorer himself, he can help guide you. That's what the club is for. If I was in the UK I would be able to avail myself of far more club assets, than I am able to in Canada, so use the club!
1973 Series 1 XJ12 SWB
1977 Series 2 XJ6C
1987 XJ-S 5.3 litre auto Cabriolet
1989 LISTER modified XJ40
1993 XJS 4.0 litre Manual facelift


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests