Exhaust fumes in car

Moderator:LJR

User avatar
xjray

Member
Posts:67
Joined:Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:15 pm
Location:South London/Surrey
Exhaust fumes in car

Postby xjray » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:31 pm

After a few trips out recently I’ve noticed my clothes smell of exhaust fumes once back home. I haven’t noticed a fume smell inside the car on normal driving until I was stationary for a while in a bit of a jam a couple of days ago and I began to smell it in the car.

This is driving with windows closed and air con running on low fan speed.

The centre section of the exhaust was replaced a few weeks ago so I decided to get the whole thing checked for leaks at a specialist garage that only does exhausts. It was thoroughly checked and no leaks found so I’m puzzled as to where the smell is coming from.

I had a quick trawl on the internet and found one site that described a similar problem, on a Ford of some sort I think, and the suggestion was that it was likely to be coming from perished injector seals. So I’m wondering if the fumes might be coming from the engine compartment, whether via perished seals or elsewhere, and being sucked in via the air intake under the windscreen.

The car has only done 18000 miles from new but obviously all components are now 34 years old.

Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

Ray
1986 Series 3 XJ6 Sovereign

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Exhaust fumes in car

Postby mike020150 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:30 am

If the engine is still running well, it is unlikely that it has a problem with injector seals. Failures here would result in uneven running and poor performance. The prime suspect has be the recent work done on the exhaust and whether any disturbed joints in the system have been sealed correctly. Another possibility for exhaust smells in the interior is failure of the one-way valves in the ventilation unit below the rear parcel shelf. Describing them as valves is doing Jaguar engineering a favour. In practice, they are several small pieces of foam/cloth lined metal using tape as hinges. After all this time, it wouldn't be surprising if one or more have fallen off inside the unit depriving the system of their intended use and permitting exhaust smells to penetrate the interior of the car. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

User avatar
xjray

Member
Posts:67
Joined:Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:15 pm
Location:South London/Surrey

Re: Exhaust fumes in car

Postby xjray » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Thanks for your reply Mike. The engine runs fine so I guessed the idea of failed injector seals was unlikely, but, having seen it mentioned, thought I’d ask. I will have a look at the one way 'valves' as you suggest.

I joined the fitter under the car while he was checking and neither of us could detect a leak anywhere.

While under there though, I did that find the gearbox centre support bush is shot so it’s going in next week to have that seen to. As they are the ones who fitted the new exhaust section I will ask them to check it again.

Is it possible any extra movement caused by the loose gearbox support could be opening up a small gap somewhere along the exhaust when travelling?

Ray
1986 Series 3 XJ6 Sovereign

davidr

Moderator
Posts:2464
Joined:Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Location:Salisbury, Wilts

Re: Exhaust fumes in car

Postby davidr » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi Ray - I've a dim recollection that the positioning of the exhaust tips is important. They need to be out in the airflow at the corner of the car. If they are too near the centre then the fumes get drawn into the vortex at the back of the car and so can come into the cabin via the flaps as Mike has mentioned.
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Convertible 2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

User avatar
xjray

Member
Posts:67
Joined:Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:15 pm
Location:South London/Surrey

Re: Exhaust fumes in car

Postby xjray » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:55 pm

Hi David, thanks for that.

I had the chrome tips off to clean up few weeks ago. When I put them back I shuffled them as far out as I could but there’s not a great deal of leeway. They are angled to the outside corners. One protrudes just past the bumper rubber but the other sits just under it. The pipes from the back boxes are obviously not the same length (British Leyland made!) and I can’t get that one out any further.

Ray
1986 Series 3 XJ6 Sovereign


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest