XJ12 Series 2 Coolant Reservoir & Level Switch?

Moderator:LJR

wgsouter

Member
Posts:80
Joined:Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:02 pm
Location:Dibden Purlieu, Hampshire
XJ12 Series 2 Coolant Reservoir & Level Switch?

Postby wgsouter » Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:31 pm

Hello.

I am rebuilding a Series 2 XJ12 (1975) from many boxes of bits where I would appreciate some help and pictures concerning fitment of the Coolant Reservoir and a non-working Coolant Level Switch as follows:

1. My Coolant Level Switch does not work; indeed, there is an object rattling around inside the Coolant Reservoir (sounds like a float). There does not seem to be any way of removing the level switch - was it really fitted during manufacture of the reservoir or can it somehow be removed and replaced?

2. This concerns the mounting holes for the reservoir in the N/S Inner Wing? I do have two holes, but these are too far forward and interfere with the screen wash bottle that fits in front of the reservoir. Can anybody send me a picture of exactly 'where' the coolant reservoir fits in relation to the screen wash bottle please? I want to ensure that I am trying to fit the reservoir in the correct place and am having to consider drilling mounting holes circa 30mm further rearwards than the existing holes?? Perhaps I have the wrong reservoir? Were they all the same for Series 2, Series 3 and XJS ??? ... for the V12 ...

I do have a coolant reservoir for a 4.2 that fits against the N/S Bonnet Bracing Strut, but I guess that this one would not fit due to the V12 Air Filter Box being 'in the way'? Hence, having to fit the correct V12 reservoir on the inner wing.

Picture of my Coolant Reservoir as follows ... hopefully correct for my Series 2 ???
Coolant Reservoir.JPG
And picture of the Level Switch - does it 'just' pull out with a pair of pliers????
Coolant Reservoir (2).JPG
Any assistance, pictures, or advice would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Mr Souter
Dibden Purlieu
Southampto

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: XJ12 Series 2 Coolant Reservoir & Level Switch?

Postby mike020150 » Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:31 am

It looks like someone has modified the coolant reservoir. They were never fitted with level switches and yours also appears to have a modified bleed tube arrangement compared with those fitted to 12 cylinder cars. The correct expansion tank for a series 2 varies by chassis number. Use the Jaguar Classic Parts website to see the correct tank (https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... index.html). Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

PaulGover

Member
Posts:824
Joined:Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:06 pm
Location:Near Banbury, England

Re: XJ12 Series 2 Coolant Reservoir & Level Switch?

Postby PaulGover » Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:58 am

Whilst I'm not at my car, from memory that tank looks very similar to the one on my 1991 XJS V12, which definitely has a coolant level sensor.
(I know because the wire to it is brittle and the Lucar connector broke off, and the remade connection now only barely reaches!)
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: XJ12 Series 2 Coolant Reservoir & Level Switch?

Postby mike020150 » Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:52 am

Just to clarify, my comments were about Series 2 V12 expansion tanks, not later versions. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

wgsouter

Member
Posts:80
Joined:Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:02 pm
Location:Dibden Purlieu, Hampshire

Re: XJ12 Series 2 Coolant Reservoir & Level Switch?

Postby wgsouter » Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:03 am

Just to clarify, my comments were about Series 2 V12 expansion tanks, not later versions. Mike.
Thank you Mike,
As I bought this car as a rolling chassis with many many boxes of bits, I am finding that I have a few components that were from a-another (later) vehicle - keeps the rebuild interesting I suppose ... it also came with all of the parts to fit ABS (all from a 1991 XJ12 Series 3) ...
Thank you again
Wolfie Souter

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: XJ12 Series 2 Coolant Reservoir & Level Switch?

Postby mike020150 » Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:23 am

Many years ago, I bought a similar abandoned project. It comprised an unused Series 2 short wheel base shell plus boxes of mainly Series 1 components, so I know what you are going through! :D Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest