Page 1 of 1

XJ S1 Complete Front Suspension Removal

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:30 pm
by richardpierce
In the coming weeks I will be removing my complete front suspension for refurb which looks pretty straight forward apart from one thing

There is a V shaped mount on either side, how are these connected to the body / which way up are they / are they easy to access. As the car is covered up at the moment and I can't see the area

Any help much apprciated

Richard

Re: XJ S1 Complete Front Suspension Removal

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:13 pm
by almcl
The rear mounts of the front cross beam (if that's what we're talking about) are attached to the chassis rail by two bolts and to the cross member by a stud. If the engine is out, they are quite simple to get at. If it is still in things are a bit more restricted.

I found getting the front mounts off was the biggest challenge: the sleeve inside the rubber bush had rust welded itself to the large bolt.

Re: XJ S1 Complete Front Suspension Removal

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 pm
by richardpierce
Exactly what I needed to know, much appreciated almcl

Richard

Re: XJ S1 Complete Front Suspension Removal

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:50 pm
by oldtimer
Hi Richard and Al Mc,
My job for the Spring. While I am changing the steering rack and have the access shall change both mounts.Not looking forward to the job but needs doing, after forty years they both look a bit weather beaten.
Problem is I aint taking the engine out so will have to support it. Pity the engine sits on the cross member.
Oldtimer

Re: XJ S1 Complete Front Suspension Removal

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:01 am
by richardpierce
Enjoy old timer!

Luckily my engine is out

Richard