Page 1 of 1
Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:44 am
by captaincrankit
Hi all
Has anyone had any experience with Polyurethane bush upgrades in either suspension or steering on XJ's
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Poly-Bush-XJS ... 48417737f2
I'm a fan and have fitted them on other cars I've owned, but hv also heard horror stories with other makes where the stiffer bush - is too stiff and suspension mounting points are stressed and fatigue. In these cases they were recommended for steering rack use only.
£138 on special currently, I don't need to do all my front end bushes currently but "seems" like an economical way to go - purchase a full set, store rest for future use.
Does anyone have any comparable prices ? Or sources ?
Looking to fit them on XJ V12 - Series 2 coupe
Tks -Julian
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:13 pm
by XjRestorations
Hi Julian,
The powerflex bushes are very good. We fit them to wishbones, and steering rack - leaving all over bushes - ESPECIALLY suframe to body mounts as metalastic. Changing these mounts to powerflex transmitts noise and makes the car very hard. Changing the steering and wishbone bushes make sthe car far more positive, without taking away the comfort.
All the best,
Keith
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:02 am
by mike020150
Hi Julian,
I tried the Jaguar XJ-S sports spec rack bushes first of all and appreciated the real improvement in positive rack feel. A few years later, whilst the rack was out for another task, I changed the same bushes for polybushes. The polybushes were only slightly more positive in feel but also allowed slightly more harshness and noise through to the steering wheel. Hence, my personal preference remains with the sports spec versions. Subsequently, I swapped the antiroll bar link bushes and links for poly versions which allow the antiroll bar to act sooner and therefore better reduce cornering roll. They work quite well, especially if combined with XJ-S spacer plates below the front coil spring bump stops. Don't be tempted to polybush both ends of the rear axle radius arms. The soft bushes there allow for a conflict of arcs. Without the necessary compliance, there would be every chance of the mountings being torn from the body. Mike.
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:48 pm
by captaincrankit
Keith/Mike, tks very much for the replies.
I'll report back when I've decided what I'll replace and how it feels.
Best
Julian
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:02 pm
by peter.bull175
Hi Julian,
The powerflex bushes are very good. We fit them to wishbones, and steering rack - leaving all over bushes - ESPECIALLY suframe to body mounts as metalastic. Changing these mounts to powerflex transmitts noise and makes the car very hard. Changing the steering and wishbone bushes make sthe car far more positive, without taking away the comfort.
All the best,
Keith
Hi Keith, I am trying to buy the powerflex bushes that you mentioned for a series 3 xj12 1984 as it sounds like good advice but I called Powerflex directly and they said that they only sell bushes for the XJ40 onwards. Would you happen to know if Powerflex have just stopped making the wishbone and steering rack bushes for the earlier xj6/xj12 cars or whether the later bushes will actually fit?
Thanks in advance
Peter
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:58 am
by mike020150
Hi Peter,
I can't comment on the availability of Powerflex bushes but I can confirm that the XJ40 suspension/steering are different from series XJs and therefore, the bushes are not common to both models. Mike.
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:19 am
by piman
Hello Peter,
I have used Superflex polyurethane bushes for years on my Triumph and they are excellent. They do list bushes for the XJ12 1975 - 1996.
https://www.superflex.co.uk/categories.php?cat=38.
Alec
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:04 am
by peter.bull175
Hi Peter,
I can't comment on the availability of Powerflex bushes but I can confirm that the XJ40 suspension/steering are different from series XJs and therefore, the bushes are not common to both models. Mike.
Thanks Mike, very helpful

Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:06 am
by peter.bull175
Hi Alec, very kind, thank you very much. Kind regards Peter