Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Moderator:LJR

User avatar
XJ_Driver

Member
Posts:153
Joined:Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:30 pm
Location:Herefordshire
Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby XJ_Driver » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:35 am

Hi folks,

I'm returning to this board having recently purchased an XJ3.4 (Se.2), although I also run an X308R as my daily driver and had previously owned a Se.1 XJ6 for more than 20 years up until May 2017.

Anyway, I have a question concerning ride height: my Series 2 sits conspicuously high at the back, yet to my eyes it doesn't look abnormally low at the front. Having checked underneath I can see that all four rear road springs look new; the fronts look much older, and are quite possibly the originals. I have checked the tyre pressures to ensure that these are correct.
20191005_151136.jpg
Could it be that the front springs are worn, or possibly that the rear springs are actually too strong for this application? Are there different rear road spring lengths/strengths available for the Series XJ? On the road the car handles well, although when stationary you can sense from the driver's seat that it's sitting high at the back.

Any suggestions on the best way to address this issue?

Many thanks.
Best regards,
John.

2003 XJ8 3.5 SE
1979 XJ3.4 Se.2
2005 SAAB 9-5 Vector Sport Estate

User avatar
piman
Posts:1183
Joined:Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:32 pm
Location:Oswestry

Re: Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby piman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:08 am

Hello John,

springs tend to ride high when first replaced and then settle down with a few miles, I would first run the car for a month or so and see if it settles? I would also think the front will be low if the original springs are now worn. I'm not really familiar with that model Jaguar so opinions for other owners about ride height would be useful?

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome

User avatar
3.8etypephil

Member
Posts:238
Joined:Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 pm
Location:Watton & Budapest.
Contact:

Re: Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby 3.8etypephil » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:49 am

The rear looks about right, but the front rather low from my memory of Series XJs. The front springs may be worn, the adjustment shims missing, or even the subframe corroded and sagging.
Phil

2013 XFR
2008 XJR

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby mike020150 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:58 am

You can check the front ride height with a tape measure. With the car full of fuel and correct tyre pressures, press the front bumper down and release it slowly. Then, lift the front bumper and release it slowly. The distance from the centre of a headlamp to the ground should measure a minimum of 24 and 5/8" (611mm in new money). Packing rings can be added to the front springs to raise the car. Each 1/8" packing ring raises the ride height by 5/16". The limit is 5 packing rings this number divided between locations above and below the spring. A car which needs more than 5 rings requires new springs.
The rear ride height is checked by similarly measuring the distance below the plate (its flat face) below the differential to the ground. This distance should be 7.45" plus or minus 1/4". Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

User avatar
XJ_Driver

Member
Posts:153
Joined:Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:30 pm
Location:Herefordshire

Re: Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby XJ_Driver » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Thanks all - advice appreciated.

Alec - I will run the car for a bit to see if it settles onto its new rear springs - and they do look very new!

Mike - I shall get my tape measure out and check those measurements.

Phil - I'll also take a closer look at the front suspension to check for any corroded / broken components.

Ultimately, with International Spares Day coming up later this month I'm just trying to get an idea what parts I should be looking out for.

But thanks again!
Best regards,
John.

2003 XJ8 3.5 SE
1979 XJ3.4 Se.2
2005 SAAB 9-5 Vector Sport Estate

User avatar
XJ_Driver

Member
Posts:153
Joined:Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:30 pm
Location:Herefordshire

Re: Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby XJ_Driver » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Having studied it again carefully, whilst I still think my Se.2 looks high at the back, I now also believe it is sitting too low at the front. To that end I bought a pair of front springs at the International Spares Day on Sunday, and once these have been fitted (beginning of next month) I'll be able to report back.

Dave - just be aware that there are different strengths of front spring for the six cylinder cars (for models with a/c and models without a/c). If your car doesn't have air conditioning, but you have the 'with a/c' front springs fitted, this might make the front sit too high? Alternatively it could be due to worn suspension at the back. Has your car been used for towing?
Best regards,
John.

2003 XJ8 3.5 SE
1979 XJ3.4 Se.2
2005 SAAB 9-5 Vector Sport Estate

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby mike020150 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:18 am

The problem with aftermarket springs these days is that they are not made in the same way as the originals (cold rolled versus hot rolled). Consequently, their characteristics differ from the originals even if the aftermarket versions claim to be a similar spec. I have just broken one of the rear four (sold to me as an original set) on my car after only 12K miles' use which makes me doubt their originality even if our roads are increasingly full of potholes.
Beware when buying aftermarket or second hand rear springs. Most XJSs were fitted with a softer version of rear spring until Jaguar standardised the stiffer saloon version on both saloons and sports models. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby mike020150 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:36 am

It's interesting that when punching in the packer number the Jaguar online parts list suggests the packer fits both XJS and XJ ser 3 models but when you go further to the respective model sections, the packer is only shown against late model XJSs. Since most XJSs have softer springs than the saloons that does make some sense. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

User avatar
XJ_Driver

Member
Posts:153
Joined:Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:30 pm
Location:Herefordshire

Re: Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby XJ_Driver » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:36 am

Hello again Dave,

I had originally posed my question regarding ride height to David Marks, and I have just received his reply. David confirmed the quality of aftermarket springs can be questionable, and that these parts are no longer available from Jaguar. Having studied the photographs which I'd sent to him, David agrees that my car looks high at the back. His suggestion would be to fit kits of springs and adjustable shock absorbers, supplied by Rob Beere Racing. These units have an 'adjustable spring platform' so that the ride height can be altered by raising or lowering the platform via a screw thread.

At David's suggestion I'm first going to check whether my car already has these adjustable shocks fitted (but I bet it hasn't). After this I'm still minded to replace the front springs first, to see if this will at least level the car up - even if it still sits a bit high. But if it still looks wrong I'll probably need to look at the adjustable shocks + springs option. Interesting that with all this talk of aftermarket rear springs being weak, my car actually has the opposite problem!

I'll revert back once the front springs have been changed.
Best regards,
John.

2003 XJ8 3.5 SE
1979 XJ3.4 Se.2
2005 SAAB 9-5 Vector Sport Estate

340jag
Posts:165
Joined:Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby 340jag » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:44 am

Not being a XJ6 man , but I think the front of your car looks ok , you could fill the boot with bags of sand or the like , and find some speed humps to drive over , if the new springs will settle , that would help speed up the process .
I had the same trouble with my MK2 , new front springs made a 5inch gap between the wheel and arch , was told by the well known supplier , it will settle in time , the car just did not look right , so changed them for some up-rated one's ,
When you walk around the shows you always see cars sitting wrong , too high most of the time , lower looks ok in my eyes .

340jag
Posts:165
Joined:Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby 340jag » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:50 am

I may be wrong , but I did not think the dampers would change the height , they just slow the reactions of the springs !

ianwilson

Member
Posts:45
Joined:Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:49 pm
Location:Peterborough UK

Re: Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby ianwilson » Tue May 05, 2020 11:17 am

Good morning peeps,

Just to throw my oar into this situation.

Some of you may know that I'm in the throws of restoring a 4.2 XJC. I have had the ride height issue in my mind since well before I even purchased my car.

When I look at some XJ's (either saloon or coupe) they sometimes look to high, both front and rear, I have yet to see one that I think "looks right" - if you know what I mean.

I have spoken to Ken Jenkins at length about this and he has stated that adjustable shocks are the best way forward, and if possible, use the original springs - unless they are broken of course.

When my car is done I wish for it to sit low - but not that silly "slammed" look that seems to be of fashion.

I think the XJ looks so much better with the tyres just sitting in the wheel arch, not with the top of the tyre visible.

This of course has yet another value to the car, Mr. Jenkins has recommended GAZ adjustable shocks to this, yet another eye watering expense - but again - so very much worth it in my opinion.

Wishing you all well in this current situation.

Ian
1977 Daimler XJC
2019 Hyundai Tucson
2017 Renault Trafic
2000 Aprilia SL1000

User avatar
XJ_Driver

Member
Posts:153
Joined:Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:30 pm
Location:Herefordshire

Re: Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby XJ_Driver » Wed May 06, 2020 2:34 am

Just to complete my story, I fitted the pair of s/h front springs (purchased for £20 at Spares Day last October) and they levelled the car up nicely. Perhaps the car still sits a bit high, but at least it now sits level - and the ride is as it should be. The front springs were originally off a 4.2 with a/c; mine is a 3.4 without, so most likely the 'new' springs are slightly stiffer than they should be. Still, to my eye the car now looks 'right'.
20200321_172906.jpg
Best regards,
John.

2003 XJ8 3.5 SE
1979 XJ3.4 Se.2
2005 SAAB 9-5 Vector Sport Estate

User avatar
3.8etypephil

Member
Posts:238
Joined:Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 pm
Location:Watton & Budapest.
Contact:

Re: Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby 3.8etypephil » Wed May 06, 2020 5:35 pm

That looks perfect in the photo. As some others have mentioned, the dampers have no bearing whatsoever on the ride height; it's all about the springs, assuming no other mechanical or structural defects, which reminds me that years ago, I encountered a few series XJs with front subframe corrosion allowing the wishbone towers to sag causing low front ride height and most peculiar handling. :cry:
Phil

2013 XFR
2008 XJR


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests