I am in the process of replacing the front hub bearings on my Suffolk SS100 and will need to grease them once the hub is back on the stub axle. My car has series 2 XJ6 running gear (hence the reason I have posted here) My Haynes manual mentions a bleed hole in the hub to tell when I have injected sufficient grease but I can not find it. Can anyone tell me where it is?
Regards
Neil
Front Hub Oil bleed hole - where is it?
Moderator:LJR
Re: Front Hub Oil bleed hole - where is it?
Hi Neil,
I have a 72' Series 2.
You will have prised off a pressed steel cap to gain access to the split pin and castellated nut which holds the bearings in place.
Look at the centre of the pressed steel cap and you find the bleed hole -about 1/16 to 3/32.
Personally, not to keen on the idea of pumping in grease until it comes out of the bleed hole!
Using a DTI (Dial Test Indicator) set the bearing end float to 0.002 to 0.006 thou (I aim for 0.004 thou) then you may like to consider pumping in grease through the grease nipple in the hub until grease emerges around the large washer under the retaining nut. Then gently tap the end cap back on.
I hope that helps a little
Oldtimer
I have a 72' Series 2.
You will have prised off a pressed steel cap to gain access to the split pin and castellated nut which holds the bearings in place.
Look at the centre of the pressed steel cap and you find the bleed hole -about 1/16 to 3/32.
Personally, not to keen on the idea of pumping in grease until it comes out of the bleed hole!
Using a DTI (Dial Test Indicator) set the bearing end float to 0.002 to 0.006 thou (I aim for 0.004 thou) then you may like to consider pumping in grease through the grease nipple in the hub until grease emerges around the large washer under the retaining nut. Then gently tap the end cap back on.
I hope that helps a little
Oldtimer
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
