Hi all
Has anyone had any experience with Polyurethane bush upgrades in either suspension or steering on XJ's
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Poly-Bush-XJS ... 48417737f2
I'm a fan and have fitted them on other cars I've owned, but hv also heard horror stories with other makes where the stiffer bush - is too stiff and suspension mounting points are stressed and fatigue. In these cases they were recommended for steering rack use only.
£138 on special currently, I don't need to do all my front end bushes currently but "seems" like an economical way to go - purchase a full set, store rest for future use.
Does anyone have any comparable prices ? Or sources ?
Looking to fit them on XJ V12 - Series 2 coupe
Tks -Julian
Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Moderator:LJR
-
captaincrankit
- Posts:15
- Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:23 pm
- Location:South London
- XjRestorations
- Posts:216
- Joined:Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 pm
- Location:East Sussex
- Contact:
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Hi Julian,
The powerflex bushes are very good. We fit them to wishbones, and steering rack - leaving all over bushes - ESPECIALLY suframe to body mounts as metalastic. Changing these mounts to powerflex transmitts noise and makes the car very hard. Changing the steering and wishbone bushes make sthe car far more positive, without taking away the comfort.
All the best,
Keith
The powerflex bushes are very good. We fit them to wishbones, and steering rack - leaving all over bushes - ESPECIALLY suframe to body mounts as metalastic. Changing these mounts to powerflex transmitts noise and makes the car very hard. Changing the steering and wishbone bushes make sthe car far more positive, without taking away the comfort.
All the best,
Keith
JEC XJ Series Forum Coordinator & Body/Paint advisor.
http://www.xjrestorations.co.uk
http://www.jaguarclassicspares.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jaguar-Xj ... 3187439423
http://www.xjrestorations.co.uk
http://www.jaguarclassicspares.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jaguar-Xj ... 3187439423
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Hi Julian,
I tried the Jaguar XJ-S sports spec rack bushes first of all and appreciated the real improvement in positive rack feel. A few years later, whilst the rack was out for another task, I changed the same bushes for polybushes. The polybushes were only slightly more positive in feel but also allowed slightly more harshness and noise through to the steering wheel. Hence, my personal preference remains with the sports spec versions. Subsequently, I swapped the antiroll bar link bushes and links for poly versions which allow the antiroll bar to act sooner and therefore better reduce cornering roll. They work quite well, especially if combined with XJ-S spacer plates below the front coil spring bump stops. Don't be tempted to polybush both ends of the rear axle radius arms. The soft bushes there allow for a conflict of arcs. Without the necessary compliance, there would be every chance of the mountings being torn from the body. Mike.
I tried the Jaguar XJ-S sports spec rack bushes first of all and appreciated the real improvement in positive rack feel. A few years later, whilst the rack was out for another task, I changed the same bushes for polybushes. The polybushes were only slightly more positive in feel but also allowed slightly more harshness and noise through to the steering wheel. Hence, my personal preference remains with the sports spec versions. Subsequently, I swapped the antiroll bar link bushes and links for poly versions which allow the antiroll bar to act sooner and therefore better reduce cornering roll. They work quite well, especially if combined with XJ-S spacer plates below the front coil spring bump stops. Don't be tempted to polybush both ends of the rear axle radius arms. The soft bushes there allow for a conflict of arcs. Without the necessary compliance, there would be every chance of the mountings being torn from the body. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
-
captaincrankit
- Posts:15
- Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:23 pm
- Location:South London
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Keith/Mike, tks very much for the replies.
I'll report back when I've decided what I'll replace and how it feels.
Best
Julian
I'll report back when I've decided what I'll replace and how it feels.
Best
Julian
-
peter.bull175

- Posts:3
- Joined:Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:35 am
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Hi Keith, I am trying to buy the powerflex bushes that you mentioned for a series 3 xj12 1984 as it sounds like good advice but I called Powerflex directly and they said that they only sell bushes for the XJ40 onwards. Would you happen to know if Powerflex have just stopped making the wishbone and steering rack bushes for the earlier xj6/xj12 cars or whether the later bushes will actually fit?Hi Julian,
The powerflex bushes are very good. We fit them to wishbones, and steering rack - leaving all over bushes - ESPECIALLY suframe to body mounts as metalastic. Changing these mounts to powerflex transmitts noise and makes the car very hard. Changing the steering and wishbone bushes make sthe car far more positive, without taking away the comfort.
All the best,
Keith
Thanks in advance
Peter
XJ12 Series 3 1984
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Hi Peter,
I can't comment on the availability of Powerflex bushes but I can confirm that the XJ40 suspension/steering are different from series XJs and therefore, the bushes are not common to both models. Mike.
I can't comment on the availability of Powerflex bushes but I can confirm that the XJ40 suspension/steering are different from series XJs and therefore, the bushes are not common to both models. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Hello Peter,
I have used Superflex polyurethane bushes for years on my Triumph and they are excellent. They do list bushes for the XJ12 1975 - 1996.
https://www.superflex.co.uk/categories.php?cat=38.
Alec
I have used Superflex polyurethane bushes for years on my Triumph and they are excellent. They do list bushes for the XJ12 1975 - 1996.
https://www.superflex.co.uk/categories.php?cat=38.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
-
peter.bull175

- Posts:3
- Joined:Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:35 am
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Thanks Mike, very helpfulHi Peter,
I can't comment on the availability of Powerflex bushes but I can confirm that the XJ40 suspension/steering are different from series XJs and therefore, the bushes are not common to both models. Mike.
XJ12 Series 3 1984
-
peter.bull175

- Posts:3
- Joined:Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:35 am
Re: Polyurethane - Suspension and steering bush upgrade
Hi Alec, very kind, thank you very much. Kind regards PeterHello Peter,
I have used Superflex polyurethane bushes for years on my Triumph and they are excellent. They do list bushes for the XJ12 1975 - 1996.
https://www.superflex.co.uk/categories.php?cat=38.
Alec
XJ12 Series 3 1984
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest