fuel system flooding
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:58 pm
Hi all. I am running a 1976 Daimler 4.2 coupe with twin SU 8 carbs and a newly fitted auto enrichment device.
The car was still suffering from flooding, at the time, I also had an exhaust manifold leak so I took the car to my local mechanic, who promptly diagnosed the exhaust leak to be the cause of the AED problem (not enough hot gas telling it the engine was up to temp)
I have since had the car back and it has ran fine for a couple outings around 75 mile in total.
So, on a run through town yesterday, it started to give the same symptoms again ie tickover dying off, needing to slip in to neutral and rev up, lots of blue smoke etc I managed to limp home and lifted the bonnet , and manually kept the revs up while I had a look and listen.
There was nothing obvious to see but I could make out a noise I can only describe as a small electric motor running flat out... There was too much overall engine noise to pinpoint the source ..
So anyone got any ideas or theories? After the new year break I'll contact the garage again but thought I would post this in the meantime. I'm also thinking of fitting a manual choke kit, does this make the AED redundant ?
Thanks in anticipation
Steve Ross.
The car was still suffering from flooding, at the time, I also had an exhaust manifold leak so I took the car to my local mechanic, who promptly diagnosed the exhaust leak to be the cause of the AED problem (not enough hot gas telling it the engine was up to temp)
I have since had the car back and it has ran fine for a couple outings around 75 mile in total.
So, on a run through town yesterday, it started to give the same symptoms again ie tickover dying off, needing to slip in to neutral and rev up, lots of blue smoke etc I managed to limp home and lifted the bonnet , and manually kept the revs up while I had a look and listen.
There was nothing obvious to see but I could make out a noise I can only describe as a small electric motor running flat out... There was too much overall engine noise to pinpoint the source ..
So anyone got any ideas or theories? After the new year break I'll contact the garage again but thought I would post this in the meantime. I'm also thinking of fitting a manual choke kit, does this make the AED redundant ?
Thanks in anticipation
Steve Ross.
