Page 1 of 1

Switch or pump ??

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:33 am
by paulgulliver123870
series 2, 1977 4.2 coupe. engine cuts out whilst travelling, switched over to right tank and off we go again, my Garage mentioned the left pump was failing! but I tried it on local short runs and it was fine, the last time this happened we did approx 25 miles before it stopped pumping, I wonder if it is the pump (submersed) or could it be the left/right switch ? before I place an order for a pump with Barretts.
IMG_5210.JPG
thanks
Paul

Re: Switch or pump ??

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:55 am
by steve_m
What condition are the tanks in?
Many moons ago I bought a kit car (Vincent Hurricane) and it took me 9 hours to do the 65 miles home.
The fuel pick up pipe kept getting blocked with crud from the bottom of the tank; when it cut out the crud would fall off the pipe and the engine would start again for a few more miles.

Re: Switch or pump ??

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:50 am
by piman
Hello Paul,

swop the two pump feeds at the switch, if the fault changes side then it is the switch.

Alec

Re: Switch or pump ??

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:47 am
by PaulGover
Once upon a time I had a Series II, but for the last 20+ years I've only had a III, so I don't remember if this applies, but ...

On the Series III, there's a fuel injection system return flow, which means that when you change tanks, there's a changeover valve to return it to the correct tank. Sometimes the valve sticks, in which case when you select the "other" tank, the return flow still goes to the same place, thereby pumping all the contents of the "other" tank to the first one - and if that's already full, you get a damp and firey floor!

As I hinted, this probably doesn't apply to the Series II, since AFAIR that has carbs, not injection.

Re: Switch or pump ??

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:22 am
by paulgulliver123870
Thanks chaps, Steve; the tanks are clean, Good shout Alec, I went belt and braces on this and got a new switch and pump, I will try the switch first !, Paul; yes I dont think the S2 has returns, but I am wondering about the switch over relays!
cheers
Paaul