Page 1 of 1

fuel tank covers - series 3 xj6

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:38 pm
by CliveRothwell
These covers have a bung in the base to allow access to the fuel tank drain. Can anybody tell me if they were originally painted in the factory please?

Re: fuel tank covers - series 3 xj6

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:25 am
by mike020150
Hi Clive,
Having clear memories of series 1 and 2 cars, they definitely didn't have painted bungs. I can't be definitive about series 3s but I'd suggest it's highly unlikely their build method was any different in that area. However, by now, most series cars have repainted tank covers and most now have painted bungs! Mike.

Re: fuel tank covers - series 3 xj6

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:26 pm
by CliveRothwell
Thanks Mike!

Re: fuel tank covers - series 3 xj6

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:58 pm
by oldtimer
Mike /Clive,
Very interesting, I have an early XJ12 and neither of these apertures have ever had bungs fitted. I've had the vehicle since almost new so therefore think it was supplied that way . Just had a quick look in the parts book and could not find the bungs.
I vaguely remember seeing them on a series 3 and thought they looked like black Bakelite.

Re: fuel tank covers - series 3 xj6

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:47 am
by mike020150
There were two variations of the plastic bungs fitted to series 3 cars (BD48342 & BD48823). The first was listed for injected cars and the second for carbs. BD48342 which was in a shiny black plastic material was also fitted to series 2s (no difference listed between FI and carbs). Like you, having checked, I can't find a parts book reference to them on series 1s. So, now you have me wondering whether they could have been added later to my series 1 which was a few years old when I ran it. If so, apologies for not double checking my previous info. Mike.

Re: fuel tank covers - series 3 xj6

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:09 pm
by oldtimer
Mike, No need to apologise - I think the mercury switches are taking effect !
I'm amused that we get embroiled in such an obscure item. This evening I checked my S3 parts book and still unable to locate the bungs. Where did you get those part numbers from ?????

Oldtimer

Re: fuel tank covers - series 3 xj6

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:23 am
by mike020150
Try body parts/ closing panels. :) Mike.

Re: fuel tank covers - series 3 xj6

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:48 pm
by CliveRothwell
Well done team! it's surprising just how much fun we can get from such a simple query..........................

Re: fuel tank covers - series 3 xj6

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:17 pm
by oldtimer
Ya Clive ,
Keep your simple queries to yourself next time.

Oldtimer

Only joking !

Re: fuel tank covers - series 3 xj6

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:08 pm
by wgsouter
Hi and I noted the reply from Mike - all that time long ago ...
I would like to buy two of these covers (BD48342 or BD48823) but had read somewhere that rubber items had been manufactured and were available from an enthusiast.
Has anybody got any information or a link to where I might be able to purchase two of these covers to fit my Series 2 ??
Many thanks
Wolfie Souter
Westbury, Wiltshire

Re: fuel tank covers - series 3 xj6

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:31 am
by mike020150
Since the parts aren't critical to the running of these cars, these days, I suspect second hand will be the only route open to you. The 'bungs' do appear to keep the inside of the tank covers cleaner when fitted but they do also have a downside. It's not possible to reach the tank drains without first removing the tank covers. You pay your money... :) Mike.