Page 1 of 1

Does anyone run on LPG, what problems have you had?

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:58 pm
by Martec
Hi,

I have strayed from the MkII forum so please treat me kindly!

I run our 3.8 MkII on LPG with the odd problem along the way so wondered if anyone else uses LPG and what if any problems you have had with the XK engine on this fuel?

Best wishes
Brian

Re: Does anyone run on LPG, what problems have you had?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:05 pm
by rod3751
Hi Brian
I don't know whether you were inviting general comments/problems about LPG on jag engines or just the xk engines,(ignore my further ramblings if just the xk engines) but i have run a 2002 X308 3.2 se on lpg as our daily driver for the last 3 years. Although i am now retired, it still gets driven about 7000 miles a year. I chose lpg mainly for economic reasons and also its cleaner emmision readings, whilst still being able to enjoy the wonderful comfort and ambience of a jag. This is my 4th jag now, so lpg was a way of enjoying a jaguar in retirement. I feel no shame at that.
I haven't experienced many problems on lpg other than a split vaporisor diaphram a few weeks after purchase. This was fixed by the go-lpg guy i bought it off. I have also found a total lack of professional knowledge within a reasonable distance of where i live as to servicing / repair requirements for lpg systems on Jags combined with their normal engine servicing requirements.
The car tends to idle a bit lumpy from cold until it warms up and then you wouldn't notice the difference. I'm sure the lpg system is to blame and almost certainly needs a service and laptop /software set up, but where do i go?
I would love a Mk2 or Daimler V8 but the pension pot wouldn't stretch to the prices being asked now for these cars. But i hope you enjoy yours especially the cheap 57p (around Glos area) a litre lpg on offer these days.
Regards
Rod

Re: Does anyone run on LPG, what problems have you had?

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:33 pm
by Martec
Thanks for replying Rod,

My installer moved to Ireland after 18 mnoths or so and the other local 'experts' I wouldn't pay in washers, they were so embarrassed at not fixing it they worked for free until I did it myself, but I now think I need someone who does know.

The old XK engine lovely old thumper that it is burns oil and so contaminates the lambda probe (oxygen sensor) plus the rich carb mixture. I was hoping others had experience of this and had found an answer.

Thanks
Brian

Re: Does anyone run on LPG, what problems have you had?

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:17 pm
by rod3751
Brian,
You may know of this website already and its not all jag stuff but if not, it might be of some use?

http://www.lpgforum.co.uk/ucp.php?mode=register

Rod

Re: Does anyone run on LPG, what problems have you had?

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:49 pm
by Martec
Yes, I'm a member of this forum and have had help from there before. One of the members 'Simon' is only about 50 miles from me and has helped on the forum before, so I'll be in tough with him soon to have a look and give advice. I have learnt to adjust it over time, but its the tricks of the trade on the old vacuum system that I need now and a yearly check up as my system has been overhauled from time to time but is quite old now and tired (a bit like me).

Thanks,

Brian

Re: Does anyone run on LPG, what problems have you had?

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:11 am
by Martec
I can't be the only one running an old fashioned system of mixers on the carburettors, can anyone recommend an LPG agent who is good with the older systems in the Doncaster area, it is all injection systems now!!

Brian

Re: Does anyone run on LPG, what problems have you had?

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:08 pm
by GordonJ
Brian,
not sure if this would be any help to you but maybe Chris Isles (The Jag Specialist) here in Doncaster might be able to point you in the right direction.

Gordon

Re: Does anyone run on LPG, what problems have you had?

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:15 pm
by Martec
Thanks Gordon,

That is a very good reason to turn up to the North Lincs AGM as he is giving a talk later this month. That is assuming I can get near him? A bit like trying to have a conversation with Ken Jenkins, always interuptions.

Brian

Re: Does anyone run on LPG, what problems have you had?

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:33 pm
by GordonJ
Brian,
if it's a struggle you could always visit him at his premises. He does all my work and I have always found that he has time for everyone.

Gordon