Series 1 boot interior? Help needed

Moderator:LJR

rscl1701558
Posts:6
Joined:Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:51 pm
Series 1 boot interior? Help needed

Postby rscl1701558 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:46 pm

Hi, I am re-assembling my car after a respray and wonder what the original cover material was for the rectangular holes in the boot sides - in photos it looks like some sort of canvas tape? Ideas info welcome. Also for sealing around the fuel pipes eyc is there a particular mastic/sealaent that is normally used?

Thanks!
Attachments
DSCF1161.jpg

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Series 1 boot interior? Help needed

Postby mike020150 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:46 am

FWIW my series XJs have all appeared to use pretty standard materials for sealing those openings, a black sticky tank tape as you describe and a black mastic sealant around the fuel grommets. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

rscl1701558
Posts:6
Joined:Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:51 pm

Re: Series 1 boot interior? Help needed

Postby rscl1701558 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:50 pm

Thanks Mike, proceeding on that basis. I think grommets are still available for the round openings. I'm going to measure up and place an order when I'm back in February working on the car. (I'm away overseas at the moment).

ChrisDixon
Posts:330
Joined:Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Series 1 boot interior? Help needed

Postby ChrisDixon » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 pm

The holes are covered with a beige tape that looks like heavy duty masking tape. I've only disturbed a couple of mine to get at the fuel tank bolts. Otherwise I'd just use duct tape.

One of the 2 types of grommet is available, with the smaller aperture for the metal pipe, rather than the larger for the rubber pipe. I just bought 2 off ebay part no C5574

rscl1701558
Posts:6
Joined:Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:51 pm

Re: Series 1 boot interior? Help needed

Postby rscl1701558 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:32 pm

Great info - thanks Chris


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest