1986 XJ12 Series 3 Blower Motor Transistor & Relay
Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:30 pm
Hi,
I am (very slowly) rebuilding a XJ12C whilst fitting some later components being taken from a XJ12 S3 donor vehicle of unknown provenance (don't know if everything was working). Therefore, I am either testing each item or replacing it on spec with a known working item. Having got to the blower motor units, I would wish to replace the transistor packs (just in case), but cannot find a copy of the JEC magazine article that gave a detailed description of how to replace the transistor or recommend a suitable replacement - my transistor is corroded and has no legible markings on it.
1. Does anybody have a PDF (or copy) of the step-by-step transistor replacement procedure?
2. Which transistor is a suitable replacement and where can I get one from?
3. Does anybody supply a 'new' replacement transistor pack (so that I don't need to get my soldering iron out)?
In addition, I note that within the blower mixer unit, that there is a Hella 4RA Relay mounted within ... should I replace this item on spec too? The relay looks in good condition, but it has been fitted and unused for nearly 15 years. A recommendation here for a reliable source for replacement relays would be useful - if this relay were to fail ... a huge job to get to it again.
Anyway, thanks in advance for your responses.
Kind Regards
Mr Souter
Westbury, Wilts, UK
I am (very slowly) rebuilding a XJ12C whilst fitting some later components being taken from a XJ12 S3 donor vehicle of unknown provenance (don't know if everything was working). Therefore, I am either testing each item or replacing it on spec with a known working item. Having got to the blower motor units, I would wish to replace the transistor packs (just in case), but cannot find a copy of the JEC magazine article that gave a detailed description of how to replace the transistor or recommend a suitable replacement - my transistor is corroded and has no legible markings on it.
1. Does anybody have a PDF (or copy) of the step-by-step transistor replacement procedure?
2. Which transistor is a suitable replacement and where can I get one from?
3. Does anybody supply a 'new' replacement transistor pack (so that I don't need to get my soldering iron out)?
In addition, I note that within the blower mixer unit, that there is a Hella 4RA Relay mounted within ... should I replace this item on spec too? The relay looks in good condition, but it has been fitted and unused for nearly 15 years. A recommendation here for a reliable source for replacement relays would be useful - if this relay were to fail ... a huge job to get to it again.
Anyway, thanks in advance for your responses.
Kind Regards
Mr Souter
Westbury, Wilts, UK