Page 1 of 1

So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:10 pm
by stevewarbs
ImageDSC_0756 by stevewarbs, on Flickr

Re: So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:26 am
by mike020150
Annoying, isn't it? Corrosion below the brake servo from a leaking master cylinder happens initially out of sight and makes a mess which is a beggar to tidy up. On another tack, have you found a source for a replacement spongey gasket around that opening or will you have to make one/use silicon sealant? Mike.

Re: So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:31 pm
by stevewarbs
Annoying, isn't it? Corrosion below the brake servo from a leaking master cylinder happens initially out of sight and makes a mess which is a beggar to tidy up. On another tack, have you found a source for a replacement spongey gasket around that opening or will you have to make one/use silicon sealant? Mike.
Hi Mike

The gaskets seem to be NLA, I didn't really want to use Silicone as I plan to keep the car a long time so it will be me that has a problem removing it next time but I suspect that is the way to go. I have read before about putting clingfilm on both surfaces before applying the silicone so will do some further research on that.

I am also going to use Bid Hambers Epoxy Mastic to treat the area which is resistant to brake fluid.

Apart from the rust due to the leak, I am really please with the condition of a 45 year old car, the more places I look, the happier I am. It's just a shame about the very faded and mottled exterior paintwork.

Re: So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:26 pm
by oldtimer
Steve,
What about a rubberized cork gasket or is that to old fashioned these days ?

Re: So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:44 am
by J44EAG
Loads on ebay.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... KIYSxKpQDQ

A good clean up, some paint refinishing, a smear of Sikaflex 291 or Kurapor on either side of the new gasket and away you go with a new master cylinder.

That is how I would do it.

Mike K

Re: So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:15 am
by mike020150
I like the look of that thick neoprene sponge rubber on Mike K's link. The pedal tower and body shell opening faces were always quite variable so require something capable of bridging considerable gaps if wet feet are to be avoided. Mike.

Re: So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:34 pm
by oldtimer
Mike just had a look --- spoiled for choice. There you are Steve nothing to stop you now - well, except for the cleaning and painting.

Re: So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:48 pm
by stevewarbs
That link reminds me that I bought some quite thick neoprene gasket material for the Jensen that I haven't used. Just need to find it now :D