So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Moderator:LJR

User avatar
stevewarbs
Posts:38
Joined:Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 pm
So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Postby stevewarbs » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:10 pm

ImageDSC_0756 by stevewarbs, on Flickr
1971 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 4.2 auto
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Postby mike020150 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:26 am

Annoying, isn't it? Corrosion below the brake servo from a leaking master cylinder happens initially out of sight and makes a mess which is a beggar to tidy up. On another tack, have you found a source for a replacement spongey gasket around that opening or will you have to make one/use silicon sealant? Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

User avatar
stevewarbs
Posts:38
Joined:Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Postby stevewarbs » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Annoying, isn't it? Corrosion below the brake servo from a leaking master cylinder happens initially out of sight and makes a mess which is a beggar to tidy up. On another tack, have you found a source for a replacement spongey gasket around that opening or will you have to make one/use silicon sealant? Mike.
Hi Mike

The gaskets seem to be NLA, I didn't really want to use Silicone as I plan to keep the car a long time so it will be me that has a problem removing it next time but I suspect that is the way to go. I have read before about putting clingfilm on both surfaces before applying the silicone so will do some further research on that.

I am also going to use Bid Hambers Epoxy Mastic to treat the area which is resistant to brake fluid.

Apart from the rust due to the leak, I am really please with the condition of a 45 year old car, the more places I look, the happier I am. It's just a shame about the very faded and mottled exterior paintwork.
1971 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 4.2 auto
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey

oldtimer
Posts:1311
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Postby oldtimer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:26 pm

Steve,
What about a rubberized cork gasket or is that to old fashioned these days ?

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Postby J44EAG » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:44 am

Loads on ebay.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... KIYSxKpQDQ

A good clean up, some paint refinishing, a smear of Sikaflex 291 or Kurapor on either side of the new gasket and away you go with a new master cylinder.

That is how I would do it.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Postby mike020150 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:15 am

I like the look of that thick neoprene sponge rubber on Mike K's link. The pedal tower and body shell opening faces were always quite variable so require something capable of bridging considerable gaps if wet feet are to be avoided. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

oldtimer
Posts:1311
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Postby oldtimer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:34 pm

Mike just had a look --- spoiled for choice. There you are Steve nothing to stop you now - well, except for the cleaning and painting.

User avatar
stevewarbs
Posts:38
Joined:Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: So that is where my brake fluid has gone

Postby stevewarbs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:48 pm

That link reminds me that I bought some quite thick neoprene gasket material for the Jensen that I haven't used. Just need to find it now :D
1971 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 4.2 auto
1972 Landrover series III SWB
1974 Jensen Healey


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest