Master cylinder
Moderator:LJR
-
antiblent@yahoo.co.nz
- Posts:10
- Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:47 pm
Hi, I've just joined the JEC a few weeks ago and this is my first post... first of many I should imagine. I have a 78 daimler coupe and it seems I've bought the wrong master cylinder for it. I bought the part number 1228 which is the later version, but should have got part number 1582. My question is can I make it fit, ie are the holes for the flow and return connections the same size as the earlier model? Or should I just return it? Most great full for any help.
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Master cylinder
Hi and welcome to the Club.
Very early RHD series 2 cars were fitted with master cylinder 11964 (the same as series 1 cars). Then, when the front brakes went metric, the master cylinder was changed to part number GMC411 (C41954), still with a remote reservoir. Finally, the reservoir was mounted on top of the master cylinder with a new master cylinder GMC413 (CAC1228) which was also used on early series 3 cars. The castings for the remote and combined reservoir/master cylinders are different which would make it impossible to swap them. I don't immediately recognise your 1582 number. My own 1977 coupe certainly uses the CAC 1228 master cylinder. Is it possible someone has changed the car from standard components to some others? Having typed the last sentence, I have just realised that CAC1582 is the master cylinder for a late XJS so the answer to my question is 'yes!' Mike.
Very early RHD series 2 cars were fitted with master cylinder 11964 (the same as series 1 cars). Then, when the front brakes went metric, the master cylinder was changed to part number GMC411 (C41954), still with a remote reservoir. Finally, the reservoir was mounted on top of the master cylinder with a new master cylinder GMC413 (CAC1228) which was also used on early series 3 cars. The castings for the remote and combined reservoir/master cylinders are different which would make it impossible to swap them. I don't immediately recognise your 1582 number. My own 1977 coupe certainly uses the CAC 1228 master cylinder. Is it possible someone has changed the car from standard components to some others? Having typed the last sentence, I have just realised that CAC1582 is the master cylinder for a late XJS so the answer to my question is 'yes!' Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
-
antiblent@yahoo.co.nz
- Posts:10
- Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:47 pm
Re: Master cylinder
Thanks Mike that's awesome. I might be wrong about the part number I have, the only no I can see is 64676950. But it definitely has the remote reservoir. So given mines a 78 I might in fact have the right new master cylinder and my best best is to pick up a second hand top mounted reservoir which if they were on the s3 hopefully won't be too expensive.
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Master cylinder
Funnily enough, recently I recall seeing someone advertising a new unused m/cylinder (CAC 1228) and I contemplated buying it as a spare but did nothing about it. If you have a few minutes, it might be worth checking the online digital magazine classifieds for the past few months in case it's still for sale at a good price. Good luck. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest