Gearbox mount, series 3

Moderator:LJR

Jag 1979

Member
Posts:35
Joined:Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:45 pm
Gearbox mount, series 3

Postby Jag 1979 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:37 pm

Hello all, my Daimler has a bad clonk coming from under the car.
It sounds and feels as if its coming from the the gearbox mount?
What type of mount do they have please?
And how hard of a job is it?

V12Smig

Member
Posts:134
Joined:Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:16 pm

Re: Gearbox mount, series 3

Postby V12Smig » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:21 am

Its four bolts under the car to remove the gearbox mount, be sure to use a transmission jack to take up the weight and support it when you do the repair.
parts to change are the central spring and the bush, here a photo of mine
IMG_9214.jpg

Jag 1979

Member
Posts:35
Joined:Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:45 pm

Re: Gearbox mount, series 3

Postby Jag 1979 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:20 pm

Thank you for the information and the photo.

I would imagine that the XJ6 has the same mounting?

ChrisDixon
Posts:330
Joined:Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 pm
Location:Kent

Re: Gearbox mount, series 3

Postby ChrisDixon » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:14 am

The bush is probably CAC3227. Not sure about the spring as I think they might differ between 4.2 and 5.3. I just changed the bush (on my manual car) and did it with the car on ramps using an axle stand to support the box and a trolley jack to take the strain while I undid the bolts. I also needed the trolley jack to compress the spring enough to get the bolts back in. Easy job if you don't mind getting under the car.

Jag 1979

Member
Posts:35
Joined:Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:45 pm

Re: Gearbox mount, series 3

Postby Jag 1979 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:35 pm

Thanks Chris for your reply.

I see that your in Kent, that's my old neck in the woods. (Deal)

I need to get it done as soon as, as the clonk is driving me insane :lol:

Thanks again Chris.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest