Hello all, my selector on one of my Jags is very stiff?
Its seems hard to push it into the R. The revers gear is fine/ but it seems as the problem is with the selector itself?
Selector
Moderator:LJR
Re: Selector
It's probably not the same problem as I had, but in my case is was the ball and socket mechanism at the gearbox end of the cable had seized. As a result, I sheared the ball off the gearbox arm. So, a good place to check first, if you have a ramp or other means of getting the car up in the air. If the joint looks OK, disconnect the cable at the gearbox end, and check it now moves smoothly from the cabin. If it does, there's a problem inside the box. That's beyond my ken. If it looks rusty, remember to grease it in future services, like the workshop manual says!
Failing that, I'd start by taking the "ski slope" off and have a look to see if anything's fallen into the linkage at the cabin end. There tends to be a rat's nest of cables that should be there, plus coins, sweet wrappers, whatever, that have sneaked through the slot by the gear lever.
Failing that, I'd start by taking the "ski slope" off and have a look to see if anything's fallen into the linkage at the cabin end. There tends to be a rat's nest of cables that should be there, plus coins, sweet wrappers, whatever, that have sneaked through the slot by the gear lever.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
Re: Selector
Thank you Paul for your advice.
I will take what you said on board, and when the weather is better I will have a look.
Regards Karl
I will take what you said on board, and when the weather is better I will have a look.
Regards Karl
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
