Insulation between gearbox and body?
Moderator:LJR
-
ChrisDixon
- Posts:330
- Joined:Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 pm
- Location:Kent
1972 S1 manual. I noticed some sponge like material between the front of the gearbox and the transmission tunnel where it meets the bulkhead. Is it a bodge to stop knocking as a result of a worn rear mounting (now fixed), or is it meant to be present? In trying to research this I found a diagram for a S3 showing such a thing, but I can't locate similar in the S1 parts diagrams. If it is meant to be there I would imagine that on many cars it has literally fallen by the wayside by now.
Re: Insulation between gearbox and body?
Mine fell out when I took the engine and gearbox out. I need to decide what to do with it, clean it or replace it...
Let me know if you find a vendor, I haven't looked to be fair
-
ChrisDixon
- Posts:330
- Joined:Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:51 pm
- Location:Kent
Re: Insulation between gearbox and body?
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... n-pad.html
This is all I can find, for the S3 (auto presumably), and it isn't in stock
This is all I can find, for the S3 (auto presumably), and it isn't in stock
Re: Insulation between gearbox and body?
Hi,
Stumbled upon your post ... I am rebuilding a 1975 XJ12C from many boxes of bits - I have a 'sponge' item that looks similar to the picture, but had no idea what it was or where it went.
If this 'sponge' does fit between the Gearbox and the Body, what stops it getting wet and causing corrosion (apart from underseal)? Also, can it take the heat as it is so close to the back of a V12 engine? Basically, should I refit this item - does it really serve a useful purpose?
Many thanks
Wolfie Souter
Westbury, Wiltshire
Stumbled upon your post ... I am rebuilding a 1975 XJ12C from many boxes of bits - I have a 'sponge' item that looks similar to the picture, but had no idea what it was or where it went.
If this 'sponge' does fit between the Gearbox and the Body, what stops it getting wet and causing corrosion (apart from underseal)? Also, can it take the heat as it is so close to the back of a V12 engine? Basically, should I refit this item - does it really serve a useful purpose?
Many thanks
Wolfie Souter
Westbury, Wiltshire
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Insulation between gearbox and body?
The gearbox insulation does survive remarkably well. It must be shielded from the worst of the weather and kept dry by the warmth of the engine. Removing it does cause a noticeable increase in noise transmission. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: Insulation between gearbox and body?
IIRC the foam goes under the centre-console gearbox cover, and should not contact any metalwork. Rust shouldn't be an issue.
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2021 I-Pace SE
Re: Insulation between gearbox and body?
Many thanks for your replies - I will refit ... now that I know where it goes.
Kind Regards
Wolfie S
Kind Regards
Wolfie S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests