V12 plug gaps
Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:16 am
Right, a real head scratcher for me in what I thought might have been a well-trodden question!
As background, my car is a UK mid-1977 V12.
I’m trying to get to the bottom of what’s the right spark plug gap. These are the three paper-based places I’ve looked:
(1) Owner’s manual tells me 0.025 in (0.64mm)
(2) Workshop manual tells me: “
Gap - Except cars to federal specification 0.025in )
)Early Cars
Gap - Cars to federal specification 0.035in )
Gap - All cars 0.035in. )Later Cars”
(3) Haynes tells me:
“All models (excluding North America):
Up to 1977 0.025in
1977 on 0.035in”
From the workshop manual I’ve no idea what are “early” or “later“ cars and in the change from one to the other what changed elsewhere to the engine which needed a change to the plug gap. Compression maybe?
Going by Haynes, as my car was built mid-77 I ought to be going for the 35 thou gap and not 25.
This all seems strange to me - my car was one of the latter V12 Coupes, so can’t work out why there would be such specification changes just before the plug was pulled on the car (no pun intended!)
Really interested in what others do or think. I saw with interest Mike’s post from a few years ago about decals for earlier models!
As background, my car is a UK mid-1977 V12.
I’m trying to get to the bottom of what’s the right spark plug gap. These are the three paper-based places I’ve looked:
(1) Owner’s manual tells me 0.025 in (0.64mm)
(2) Workshop manual tells me: “
Gap - Except cars to federal specification 0.025in )
)Early Cars
Gap - Cars to federal specification 0.035in )
Gap - All cars 0.035in. )Later Cars”
(3) Haynes tells me:
“All models (excluding North America):
Up to 1977 0.025in
1977 on 0.035in”
From the workshop manual I’ve no idea what are “early” or “later“ cars and in the change from one to the other what changed elsewhere to the engine which needed a change to the plug gap. Compression maybe?
Going by Haynes, as my car was built mid-77 I ought to be going for the 35 thou gap and not 25.
This all seems strange to me - my car was one of the latter V12 Coupes, so can’t work out why there would be such specification changes just before the plug was pulled on the car (no pun intended!)
Really interested in what others do or think. I saw with interest Mike’s post from a few years ago about decals for earlier models!