Page 1 of 1
V12 distributor upgrade
Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:52 pm
by V12Smig
I saw once a photo of a V12 where the distributor cap (obviously contactless) was 2 banks of 6 outputs (for either side of the V) for the HT leads, with each HT lead going directly to its corresponding plug, this resulted in a much neater look without the leads criss crossing each other on the Round distributor cap. Does any one know where I can get me one of these...??
Re: V12 distributor upgrade
Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:25 pm
by davidr
I think you may be referring to the Marelli system which is slightly later than your 1988 engine. This is a completely different ignition system that does indeed operate the 2 banks separately with 2 coils and 2 arms on the rotor with contacts inside the dizzy cap on 2 levels. This will not be compatible with your current ignition system.
Re: V12 distributor upgrade
Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:04 pm
by V12Smig
Thanks David, looks like I have to stick with the mess then...
Re: V12 distributor upgrade
Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:01 pm
by davidr
On further reflection you may be thinking of the very late V12 fitted to the X300 that had a coil on plug ignition system?
Re: V12 distributor upgrade
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:10 am
by V12Smig
I think it was a modified XJS, Australian I think, the guy had done loads of mods, basically everything attached to the engine was updated, I recall how slick the placement of the leads were..